Start a Conversation

Unsolved

G

3 Posts

February 19th, 2019 17:00

VMware ESXi 6.5 install issue

Hi

I have an issue whereby I am trying to build a Dell PowerEdge R730xd server with VMware ESXi 6.5 but the Dell install media for 6.5, 6.5 U1, and 6.5 U2 boots and does not see one out of three configured Virtual Disks.  I do not believe this is a server error as the Dell VMware 5.5 install disk and the Dell VMware ESXi 6.7 install disk sees three Logical Volumes, as does a normal Windows Server 2012 install disk.

The server is installed with three types of disk and the disks that the install does not see are TOSHIBA AL14SEB18EP currently running Revision DN03 which I believe is the latest Revision.  

Does anyone have any ideas please?

• 

6.2K Posts

February 20th, 2019 09:00

Hello

Whether or not the OS can see virtual disks is largely dependent on the storage controller driver. I didn't see mention of the storage controller you are using. It would be very odd for one of three virtual disks to be visible to the operating system from the same controller. That would usually be an issue between the controller and drives, but you state that it works in other operating systems. That suggests that it is an OS issue and not a controller communication issue with the drives.

You are describing very odd behavior. I suggest providing more details about the issue.

Thanks

February 21st, 2019 09:00

Thanks for the reply

This setup is apparently suffering from 4KB syndrome as per the VMware TID below - the affected disks have a 4KB Block size:

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2091600

Apparently there is no fix or resolution for this with ESXi 6.5

No Events found!