Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 2nd, 2022 20:00

oemr xl 240 - sold as monitoring server, can i rebuild it as a 2019 file server?

Client has presented me with an OEMR XL 240 1u server sold to him as part of a video security system.  He wants me to rebuld it as a simple file server, 2019.  The and it says it was sold in Canada???  The security company is indeed 1/2  in canada and 1/2 in us. 

It was sold with a hard drive and memory but no OS.  And it is still under warranty!  I would buy Server 2019 essentials or standard for him.

This is just Poweredge 240 1u server right?  Theres no reason why I can't install Server 2019 (US) on it, right...? (I and the client and the server are in the US)

Thank You

• 

3.2K Posts

June 3rd, 2022 07:00

Hi,

i did not see any problems if you do this like that.

Did you have any further questions?

Regards Martin

June 3rd, 2022 08:00

what does "Intended for EMBEDDED or SERVER APPLIANCE Applications Only" mean which is stated in its configuration page at dell ?  

Thanks

HBurke

• 

3.3K Posts

June 3rd, 2022 10:00

Hello,

That is basically another line item descriptor of an OEM system.  Looks like it could be paperwork not an actual part of the server.

A little more information for OEM:

OEM customers rebrand our systems and resell as a solution with their software.

OEM customers have a helpdesk that does the initial troubleshooting with their end user.

You asked about repurposing it. You can, but anything outside OEM configuration is not supported.

No Events found!