Start a Conversation

Unsolved

Closed

D

12 Posts

May 31st, 2023 12:00

r620 idrac errors

We see a lot of repeating errors in our /var/log/messages file showing the below messages. I don't see any matches in any forums or on Google or any manuals about these messages. They don't exist on our other servers that have similar functions. Can you advise of what is wrong and a solution? We are able to login to the idrac card and it appears to be working fine.

May 31 08:37:23 d7 NetworkManager[1421]: policy: auto-activating connection 'Wired connection 1' (6448f5e2-a78c-314b-b426-01a8cfc6a062)
May 31 08:37:23 d7 NetworkManager[1421]: device (idrac): Activation: starting connection 'Wired connection 1' (6448f5e2-a78c-314b-b426-01a8cfc6a062)
May 31 08:37:23 d7 NetworkManager[1421]: device (idrac): state change: disconnected -> prepare (reason 'none', sys-iface-state: 'managed')
May 31 08:37:23 d7 NetworkManager[1421]: device (idrac): state change: prepare -> config (reason 'none', sys-iface-state: 'managed')
May 31 08:37:23 d7 NetworkManager[1421]: device (idrac): state change: config -> ip-config (reason 'none', sys-iface-state: 'managed')
May 31 08:37:23 d7 NetworkManager[1421]: dhcp4 (idrac): activation: beginning transaction (timeout in 45 seconds)
May 31 08:38:08 d7 NetworkManager[1421]: device (idrac): state change: ip-config -> failed (reason 'ip-config-unavailable', sys-iface-state: 'managed')
May 31 08:38:08 d7 NetworkManager[1421]: device (idrac): Activation: failed for connection 'Wired connection 1'
May 31 08:38:08 d7 NetworkManager[1421]: device (idrac): state change: failed -> disconnected (reason 'none', sys-iface-state: 'managed')
May 31 08:38:08 d7 NetworkManager[1421]: dhcp4 (idrac): canceled DHCP transaction

• 

4.1K Posts

May 31st, 2023 20:00

Hello, thanks for choosing Dell.
To me this sounds like an OS issue.
How about we try accessing idrac with another client? And if you don't see the same message, we can be sure this is an OS issue. 

12 Posts

June 1st, 2023 09:00

How would checking the idrac from another client affect these messages that are being pasted from /var/log/messages/ on the server in question? You can see the same messages using SSH.

• 

8.8K Posts

June 1st, 2023 13:00

delluserD7,

Would you confirm if you have any OpenAManage tools installed on this server? I ask as I believe those may be the informational alerts based on one of those tools.

Let us know

12 Posts

June 2nd, 2023 05:00

We do not have OpenManage tools installed. The logs appear to suggest the idrac is trying to use DHCP does it not? We have DHCP disabled. What can be done to make the idrac stop trying to use DHCP?

12 Posts

June 2nd, 2023 05:00

It would appear that Network Manager is not able to assign a static ip address to the interface, because there is no config for that and it uses dhcp client to get an ip. The client fails, because there is no dhcp server of course to assign an ip to the interface.

the issue seems to be, why is there a new network interface appearing in the system? Perhaps some hardware problem?

Usually if you add a hotplug interface, it tries 1-3 times to get an address and than it stops. This interface is appearing and disappearing and the network manager is trying to get an ip for it. We need to understand why and figure out how to avoid the interface from trying to appear at all

• 

8.8K Posts

June 2nd, 2023 06:00

DellUserD7,

Sorry for the delay, I was researching your issue. What I think is that either the idrac is losing its IP and having to reassign it, or possibly a USB NIC being presented. Now it should not be using DHCP if DHCP is not configured though, which is why I think it's not the primary interface of the iDRAC. 

If possible, would you Private Message me the following outputs?

racadm getniccfg

racadm get idrac.webserver

racadm get idrac.os-bmc

racadm get idrac.nic

racadm get idrac.ipv4

racadm get idrac.ipv6

and if you could, would you get it from a working and non-working system so we can compare.

12 Posts

June 3rd, 2023 12:00

Actually racadm is disabled so those commands won't work. We locked down the idrac to a single IP, then logged out. Still those messages are appearing in the logs.

• 

4.1K Posts

June 4th, 2023 17:00

Hello for this question,

What can be done to make the idrac stop trying to use DHCP?

Please see below.

https://dell.to/3WR2anI.

12 Posts

June 7th, 2023 12:00

We already are using the settings in that URL.

It appears like the idrac has a virtual network device to communicate with.

On start, it sets up and act like a usb connected hot-plug device. And the logs suggest it is trying to plug and unplug and plug and unplug repeatedly.

OS drivers and so are trying to register it automatically, and NetworkManager also.tries to assign a ipv6 address via DHCP but it cannot because there isn't any DHCP server setup.

Any suggestions how to disable this function?

• 

8.8K Posts

June 7th, 2023 13:00

DelluserD7,

I believe I understand the issue now. I think that you have the OS to iDrac pass-through enabled in the iDrac, which I think is causing what you see. If you go to the page here, it will walk you through locating and disabling it.

Let me know if that resolves it. 

• 

8.8K Posts

June 9th, 2023 09:00

The only other suggestion I would have is to call into support and request the Systm Mgmt team, as it will likely require direct access from them to isolate and determine the issue with the software, if that is the case. 

12 Posts

June 9th, 2023 09:00

The OS to idrac pass thru is and was disabled. so this is not the case

But we think this has a bug or hardware defect because when it is disabled it should not register a network card idrac in the os. Is there any test or debug we can do?

No Events found!