Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 28th, 2015 19:00

About RecoverPoint CG Failover and Production Recovery

Hi all,

I have two questions about RecoverPoint CG Failover and Production Recovery. During RecoverPoint CG Failover/Recovery operation, the image will first be tested on the DR host, after that Failover/Recovery can actually occur. My questions are:

1. Should i stop access the image on the DR host after image test and before true Failover/Recovery, then mount it again after the Failover operation ?

2.During the image test, the data is probably changed(at least the LVM VGDA timestamp will be updated), will the change be reserved after Failover/Recovery ?

My understanding is the change during the test will be discarded, and the image will be reconstructed afain during the Failover/Production Rcovery(i.e. after the image test), so we need mount the image twice on the DR host for CG Failover, is it correct ?

Thank you.

13 Posts

August 28th, 2015 19:00

The failover guide says i should umount the copy volumes from the DR host after the image test, and before the truly failover.

1.png

1.1K Posts

August 29th, 2015 14:00

You should unmount your volumes prior to disabling image access and then mount them after image access is enabled simply because image access controls R/W of the replica volumes. You cannot move directly from Test a Copy to Failover or Recovery Production from the UI but instead have to finish your copy testing (disable image access) and reinitiate the recovery activity, Failover or Recover Production, by using the Test a Copy and Failover or Test a Copy and Recover Production option from the UI. The work around to this is to use CLI or REST API to initiate the recovery activity whilst in image access mode. If you do this you do no need to unmount your volumes.

Regards,

Rich Forshaw

RecoverPoint Corporate Systems Engineering

13 Posts

August 30th, 2015 00:00

Thank you.

If i do some change on the volumes during the test image access and want to reserve the change,  after failover i must do the same change again ?

BTW,I remember the old GUI(RecoverPoint 3.X) can fail the CG over directly without disabling the test image access, and the change during the test image access will be reserved.

a.png

1.1K Posts

August 30th, 2015 01:00

If you do make some changes and want to keep them you need to use CLI or REST API as I stated. Yes, you are correct that this used to an available capability in the 3.* UI.

13 Posts

August 30th, 2015 18:00

Thanks. Understood.

No Events found!