Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 8th, 2014 23:00

Does removing the LAN cable from RPA puts its CGs in paused mode ?

removing a LAN cable from RPA puts its CGs in paused mode.

these are not distributed CGs, wanted to know if this is a normal behavior or some setting needs to be checked/changed ?

thanks

1.1K Posts

September 9th, 2014 04:00

Hi Ankush,

Ordinarily this shouldn't happen. However, can you confirm the followng for me please:

1.     Version of RP.

2.     Gen type of RPAs.

3.     Most importantly, WAN connectivity between the RPA's in each local cluster.

Regards,

Rich

13 Posts

September 9th, 2014 04:00

Hi Rich,

1. Version : 4.0 SP2

2. Gen 5

3. I didn’t get this point, could you please elaborate

Thanks

Ankush

1.1K Posts

September 9th, 2014 05:00

Point 3 is a key point in that the LAN, WAN, iSCSI and Fibre paths between the RPAs act as communication paths as well WAN and Fibre being used as replication pathways. So, irrespective of the replication pathway or replication requirement (local or remote) the RPAs in each cluster must always be connected using these pathways. This ensures that if there is a LAN failure on an RPA, as per your scenario, communication can be maintained between the RPAs via one of the other pathways and site control (RPA controlling the cluster) is not compromised.

13 Posts

September 9th, 2014 06:00

WAN

SiteA >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> SiteB

dedicated link

RPA1 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> RPA1

dedicated link

RPA2 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> RPA2

In short:

Above is the scenario, RPA1 @ site A is connected with a dedicated link to RPA1 @ site B

Same is with RPA 2 with another dedicated link, all ip’s can ping each other

Now, if LAN cable from RPA1 is removed, CG’s running on RPA1 get into paused status.

Thanks

Ankush

1.1K Posts

September 9th, 2014 07:00

Hi Ankush,

Forget about the cross-site communication/inter-cluster WAN relationship. I was referring to the loca or intra cluster WAN connectivity.

For example:

Cluster 1

RPA1 <-> RPA2 - requires LAN, WAN and Fibre (iSCSI if using vRPA's with VNX)

Cluster 2

RPA1 <-> RPA2 requires LAN, WAN and Fibre (iSCS if using vRPA's with VNX)

The replication pathway is a given simply for replication purposes. What I am referring to is the communication pathway.

Regards,

Rich

13 Posts

September 9th, 2014 10:00

How do I make sure that.

All ips can ping each other without any issues.

Also, if we remove WAN cable from a RPA, all its CGs fail over to other local RPA.

Thanks

Ankush

Sent from Samsung Mobile

13 Posts

There is a zone on each switch which has all the RP ports (both RPs at a site) and the storage ports.

Thanks

Ankush

1.1K Posts

Please ensure you have LAN and WAN connectivity between your RPAs in each local cluster.

1.1K Posts

September 9th, 2014 11:00

The UI should tell you if you haven't got WAN connectivity between your RPAs in your local clusters. You can also perform a full mesh connectiivty check from boxmgmt to verify connectivity.

If you do have the correct connectivity removnig the LAN cable from the RPA should not induce a pause state on the CGs owned by that RPA.

On this basis I would recommend that you open an SR.

No Events found!