Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 9th, 2013 05:00

Mounting A Replicated LUN

I am not quite sure how I can access and mount a replicated LUN in vCenter. I currently replicated a LUN from our production site and I would like to mount this LUN on our DR site, do I need to stop replication?

Thanks

1K Posts

You can present the target LUN to the DR ESX servers ahead of time but RecoverPoint still has SCSI reservations on that LUN. In order for you to mount the LUN (i.e. be able to see the datastore) you need to enable image access in RecoverPoint. At that point RecoverPoint releases the SCSI reservations and you can use the LUN. Once you are in image access mode you'll have to decide (once you verified that that's the image you want to use) whether to failover or disable image access mode. But to answer your question, you have to enable image access in RecoverPoint before you can use the LUN on the DR ESX hosts.

Do you have SRM in place by any chance?

286 Posts

The DR lun needs to be masked to your ESX servers, in recoverpoint simply go into image access mode and you will have access to the lun, no need to stop replication. Steps to do this are in the RecoverPoint admin guide

1K Posts

January 9th, 2013 06:00

Did you select to re-signature the drive when you added the datastore? Make sure you do that and you'll see the data

62 Posts

January 9th, 2013 06:00

I forgot to enable image access......

I am also noticing that the replicated LUN has nothing on it when I browse the datastore...... lol

Double checking my settings........

62 Posts

January 9th, 2013 08:00

ESXi and vCenter 5.1.

1K Posts

So the datastore automatically show up once you enabled image access and performed a disk rescan?

Which version of ESX/ESXi and vCenter are you using?

62 Posts

Where do I do this? When I re-scan for another datastore it shows up in the list.

1K Posts

January 9th, 2013 09:00

Can you address the question in my previous post.

1K Posts

Granted I haven't had a chance to test RP with ESXi 5.1 but I know that with versions of 4.1 and 5.0 you have to add the datastore once image access is enabled. It doesn't add the datastore automatically. Doesn't sounds right so I'm curious to hear from others on ECN. In the meantime can you open a service request ticket with EMC Support and see if they can provide more info?

62 Posts

So the datastore automatically show up once you enabled image access and performed a disk rescan?

Yes....

Which version of ESX/ESXi and vCenter are you using?

62 Posts

January 9th, 2013 11:00

Do I need to format the replicated LUN with VMFS-5 or will RecoverPoint handle the disk carving?

1K Posts

January 9th, 2013 11:00

Don't format the LUN. You have to add the VMFS datastore once you enabled image access mode and choose the "resignature" option.

62 Posts

January 9th, 2013 12:00

And Host OS should be VMware ESX in the policy?

1K Posts

Yes

1K Posts

Ok. Please update the post once you figure out how to resolve it.

No Events found!