Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 12th, 2015 07:00

Moving repository volumes to new array

I am planning on moving the repository volumes to a new array.  We only have 2 clusters.  Just some question and validation on the procedure.  I picked up some steps from a previous post and then ran it past an EMC person.

1. Save_settings and save_account settings - I will create the save-settings script using the logging function in putty, remove the putty stuff and save as .cli
  2. Disable all CGs
  3. Detach all RPA's at the site where the array is changing - this is in bot sites but will  do one at a time.  Thinking about doing one and letting the replication catch up and do the other one when it's back to normal.
  4. zone mask new repository - No problem there, just need to show to the recoverpoint group on the VNX2
  5. Format the new repository - this is in boxmgmt
  6. Select the new repository and attach all rpas to new repository and reboot. - I would assume you do them both at once not one at a time.
  7. start management gui.. you will be warned of a conflict in the configuration and given a choice of which site wins.  Choose the site that did not have the array change
  8. Enable all CGs (full sweep will occur) - I was going to do one site let the full sweep occur and do the other site.  But it seems that doing both sites in the same time frame, one at a time, would minimize the full sweep time (only once).

Notes:

• you will have to request a new license - I think there is a 30day grace period so I will request once done
  • Get CCA approval - haven't found a way to get this.  When I create an SR to find out they just tell me EMC needs to move them and I am not suppose to.
  • Open a support ticket in case you need guidance - see above

Also, I see mention you can do it through deployment manager.  I have version 2.1 SP2 and don't see anyway this can be done.  Doing it through DM would be great as it automates the process very nicely.

153 Posts

November 13th, 2015 13:00

There is a procedure for nondisruptive repository migration that can be performed by Emc PS. It does require suspending CGs, and a reboot of the RPAs but it doesn't cause a full sweep or a loss of configuration. The procedure is qualified at specific versions. Feel free to contact me offline if you need more info.

Zahid Fadli

RP Corp Systems Engineering

Sent from my iPhone

37 Posts

November 16th, 2015 10:00

I'm sure they want a substantial sum for doing it plus my first born but non-disruptive sounds interesting.  I bet that is the talk about using deployment manager.  How do I contact you offline?

153 Posts

November 16th, 2015 20:00

Zahid.fadli@emc.com

Zahid Fadli

EMC2

Twitter: @zDataGuy

Reply-To: "jive-1167358074-ot9-2-jm5m@emc-ecn.hosted.jivesoftware.com "

Date: Monday, November 16, 2015 at 10:41 PM

To: Zahid Fadli

Subject: Re: - Moving repository volumes to new array

ECN

Moving repository volumes to new array