Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 25th, 2017 10:00

Portgroup for RP4VM shadow VM's

Hello,

I'm new to setting up RP4VM and am having an minor issue.  Is there a way to define a default VM portgroup for the shadow VM's?  I know that when you test a copy or fail over you are given the opportunity to select which portgroup/network you wan the VM to be in.  I also think the network isn't even being used when the VM is in the shadow state.  The reason I am asking is that RP4VM seems to pick a portgroup that I have defined but do not have the switch ports configured for.  When the shadow VM is powered on, I will get an alert from the host that both NIC ports are down for that particular port group since the switch does not allow that VLAN.

For example, RP4VM will create a shadow VM using portgroup "VLAN111" which is using VLAN 111.  In this case the physical switch ports do not allow trunking vlan 111 so the VM host will generate an error that the nics are down for VLAN 111.  At first look, you think the host's NICS are offline but it is really just that VLAN that is offline.

I did not see anywhere in the documentation where I can specify the portgroup for shadow VMs.  If I can't specify can I change it?  Will RP4VM change it back or keep it as I selected?

675 Posts

June 1st, 2017 04:00

Hi there,

The network assignment of the shadow VMs would be decided on the basis if the same network as production exists on the replica side (by name), if it isn't, it's decided arbitrarily.

During Test a Copy, the user can configure the test network and soon it would be possible to configure the failover network.

As this outside of any recovery operation, the only way to change the network assignment of the shadow VM is to edit it manually (that would also be the network selected if selecting "Skip this Step" in the network selection step in any of the recovery wizard.

Hope that helps,

Idan Kentor

RecoverPoint Corporate Systems Engineering

@IdanKentor

29 Posts

June 6th, 2017 13:00

Idan,

Thank you for the explanation!

No Events found!