Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 11th, 2015 13:00

RP4VM Sample Re-IP scripts

Hello,

I have tried to search unsuccessfully for the sample glue scripts and templates that seem to be needed for the re-ip process of RP4VMs and was hoping someone might be able to point me in the right direction? All of the documents point to them being available on ECN, but I have been unsuccessful in that search.

Thanks!

675 Posts

September 16th, 2015 00:00

Hi Keith,

The re-IP glue scripts can be found in the bundle ZIP file available on emc.com and on support.emc.com.

Regards,

Idan Kentor

RecoverPoint Corporate Systems Engineering

522 Posts

September 15th, 2015 05:00

Here is the snippet that I am referring to that I see in the Admin guide and a few of the white papers...but I can't seem to find on ECN....or I need to enhance my ECN search-string skillz

2015-09-15_8-47-03.png

Thanks!

522 Posts

September 16th, 2015 05:00

Ahh...OK...I think I see the issue...these weren't in the original kit were they? I had downloaded and installed the original 4.3 kit shortly after it came out and it looks like the kit was updated last week (09/08/15) on support.emc.com. Not sure if the glue scripts weren't in there before as I have my original bundle extraction and don't see them in the directories. I just re-downloaded them and see them in there, so I am good and will start to test it out.

At least now with this thread, the pointers in the doc that say to download them from ECN have a landing point for other users since it doesn't look like they are actually posted on this site, but users will at least be able to search and find this thread hopefully that will point them back to the download bundle if they haven't looked there to start . Maybe techpubs can update the docs?

Thanks for pointing this out Idan!

-Keith

522 Posts

October 8th, 2015 08:00

Idan  : I give up...haha. Do you happen to have an example of this working? I have tried about 20 different combos of adding the glue scripts (there are 2 in the download) to the WIndows VM in the registry and importing new settings on the CRR copy in the console and I can't seem to get the change in IP to show up, so I am thinking I am missing something

I made a new key called IP in the registry location called out in the doc snippet above and made the value of it the absolute path to where I copied the scripts on the VM (both with quotes, without quotes, etc). I then exported and changed the IP values for the CRR copy of the VM being protected and imported it successfully (shows the changes when you click on the network configuration of the CRR copy). I used the command in the doc to get the IdX ID of my adapter (12).

At that point, I test a copy, but the IP never changes. I'm gonna try a few more options, but I am guessing I am missing something simple on my end or there is a step elsewhere I might not be inferring from the guide or missing from the guide so wanted to validate.

Thanks!

522 Posts

November 6th, 2015 10:00

Update to this for closure on the thread - It seems these sample glue scripts are not actually implemented out of the box, so the orchestration piece of making network changes in RP4VMs is still a manual setup/process on every VM with the onus of scripting the changes on the DR side left up to the customer or professional services. As a high-level order of events, here is what is required:

1. Copy sample scripts (or net new scripts created by user) to a location on the VM

2. Create registry entry according to the documentation

3. Create a Windows scheduled task and trigger to execute this script upon restart of the VM (not in the documentation)

4. Export/Import network changes through RP4VM's for the copy being altered

5. Test recovery or failover to ensure the script execute the desired network changes successfully.

Thanks.

-Keith

April 18th, 2016 08:00

Hi Keith,

I tried to manage RE-IP process for RP4VM but i cannot perform it.

Do you have a step by step procedure with capture screen or whatever ?

Documentation on this point is really poor...

1.1K Posts

April 18th, 2016 08:00

Hi Julien,

Take a look at this demo. Hopefully it will help.

https://ftp.emc.com/action/login?domain=ftp.emc.com&username=yn13zUJRs&password=UOOU4UooiO

Regards,

Rich Forshaw

Consultant Corporate Systems Engineer - RecoverPoint & VPLEX (EMEA)

Data Protection and Availability Solutions

EMC Europe Limited

Mobile: +44 (0) 7730 781169

E-mail: richard.forshaw@emc.com

Twitter: @rw4shaw

EMC Europe Limited

Registered in England with Company No. 00990752 Registered office address: Level 1, Exchange House, Primrose Street, London C2A 2EG

The information contained in this e-mail message and any files transmitted with it are confidential. It is intended only for the addressee and others authorised to receive it. If you are not the intended recipient or the person responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you are advised that you have received the e-mail in error; please delete it and notify the sender immediately. You should not retain the message or disclose its contents to anyone. Any disclosure, copying, distribution or action taken in reliance on the contents of the e-mail and its attachments is strictly prohibited.

April 19th, 2016 06:00

Hi Rich,

Thanks for the video. I will try on RHEL VM like the video on my old RPA configuration.

However some video seems to be no so accurate when i try to install new set of RPA cluster :

Example for 4.3.1 deployment demo :

2016-04-19_15h28_10.png

In real world deployment :

2016-04-19_15h32_49.png

I have try different release :

4.3.SP1.P1_h.192

4.3.SP1_h.152

In all case same behaviour regarding IP settings and cannot perform the cluster installation because of this problem :

Failed to retrieve datastores:, Bad Request ,could not create proxy for rpa RPA(ip=10.10.70.203...

Have you any hint regarding this error (Pre-deployment Validation Results are OK) ?

675 Posts

April 19th, 2016 07:00

Hi Julian,

As for the error you're getting, please make sure that vRPA1 and 2 are both accessible as this pre-validation checks connectivity between all vRPAs to vCenter and the shared datastores they are seeing in order to list candidate datastores for the repository.

As for Re-IP, soon we would publish an updated revision of the admin guide which would include clarifications and explanation on the Re-IP process.

Regards,

Idan

Idan Kentor

RecoverPoint Corporate Systems Engineering

Twitter: @IdanKentor

7 Posts

April 25th, 2016 06:00

Hi Julien,

do you have resolve this problem ? I have the same message..

Failed to retrieve datastores:, Bad Request ,could not create proxy for rpa RPA...

Thank you very much.

Best regards,

charly

April 26th, 2016 00:00

Hi,

If you have no warning during checkup process then :

First don't care of warning for Recoverpoint cluster IP.

Do not put your temporary RPA1 IP.

Then take care if you have clone your first RPA for 2nd RPA deployment in my case temporary IP was not set...

May 27th, 2016 05:00

Hi Rich,

I have try different settings and still have some issue. I probably miss something regarding this point :

Applying a new network configuration in Windows

An example of how to manage your network configurations in Windows 2008 and 2012.

Procedure

1. Download the relevant glue script from the RecoverPoint for VMs page on the EMC ECN

network.

On the production VM, add the glue script to the registry by creating a key called IP in

the registry path and adding the full path of the script. For example:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\

3. Navigate to Protection > Consistency Groups, expand the desired consistency group,

and select the relevant copy.

4. Click the Edit Copy Network Configuration icon and click Save as… to export the

current network configuration to a CSV file.

I have set the following registry key :

2016-05-27_14h34_48.png

Is there something misconfigured ??

522 Posts

May 27th, 2016 13:00

After creating the registry entry and copying over the script - did you create a Windows scheduled task? That is needed in some cases and I had to do that for mine to work after I copied over the script, made the registry entry, and edited the CG variables.

In task scheduler you can do the following so that it does it on the first boot during a test/failover (screenshots are from a test a while back....but I haven't touched much so they should still work):

general.png

trigger.png

actions.png

conditions.png

May 30th, 2016 00:00

Hi Echo,

It works !!. My problem was inside the General Windows // Run wheter the user is log or not...

Thanks for your help !!

July 29th, 2016 13:00

Hi Rich,

Can you please upload the demo video again?

Thanks and Regards

Raghav

No Events found!