Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 17th, 2016 05:00

Recover Point for VM and KASHYA iSCSI Disk

I've installed 2 RP4VM appliances in my Production vCenter and 2 in my DR vCenter.  The 2 RP4VM clusters are linked, but I'm not protecting any VMs yet.  I then noticed that the disk performance for every host in Production and in DR are showing "highest latency" at around 500-550ms.  If I power the RP4Vm appliances off, it drops back down to 0ms.  Power them on and back to 500ms.

Using esxtop I'm able to see 2 devices with this 500ms latency under the DAVG section with KAVG at 0ms.  I'm no expert on esxtop, but based on what I read over at Yellow Bricks this indicates that the latency is on the storage system and not in the VM Kernel.  I then looked at the iSCSI identifier and see that the Devices in question are "KASHYA iSCSI Disk" with size of 937.94G.  I have 4 "KASHYA" devices, only 2 are showing high latency under esxtop.  So I kind of know where esxtop (and the performance tab under vSphere) is telling me the issue is.

My problem is that I have no idea what a "KASHYA" device is, what it does and if I care.  I have to assume that RP4VM created these as they don't match up to any LUNs that I've created on the VNXs,

Can anyone share some insight on what KASHYA devices are, why they are there and if this is normal or what I should look at in order to resolve this?

TIA

Craig Tompkins

675 Posts

August 18th, 2016 00:00

Hi Craig,

The KASHYA devices are being used for communication between the splitter running on the ESX and the vRPAs.

The latency seen on KASHYA devices is normal, especially when there are no VMs protected, it's due to the way the protocol queries the splitter for state and other control actions.

Hope that helps,

Idan Kentor

RecoverPoint Corporate Systems Engineering

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

March 8th, 2017 23:00

Hi Idan,

We have another customer who is also curious about the KASHYA device and faced up this performance issue.

If customer set up the VM protection, will it possibly reduce the performance delay? As for the capacity 937.94G, is it a virtual size? Any other possible solution for this issue as it's visible delay from customer side?

Your replying would be much appreciated.

Thanks & Regards,

Apple Xie

No Events found!