Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 14th, 2014 20:00

RecoverPoint Deployment Manager Fails to Create Repository

vRPA2.jpgvRPA 1.jpg

I am installing the latest version of RecoverPoint 4.x as virtual appliances hosted on VMware.  When RecoverPoint Deployment Manager reaches the point where it creates the RecoverPoint Repository it fails citing:

"Failed to configure repository volume for RPA2."

Presently I have a 5 GB LUN presented to the ESXi host that is hosting the vRPAs.  The LUN is formatted with VMFS.  When I select "Manual" in the Repository Volume section of the deployment process the aforementioned data store does appear.  Does the data store need to be added as a drive to the vRPAs?  Does it need to be RAW vs. VMFS formatted?  Any suggestions as to why the creation of the Repository Volume fails would be greatly appreciated.

153 Posts

May 14th, 2014 21:00

You don't have to do anything to the LUN from an ESXi level, only the vRPAs need to access the LUN. Is this RP/SE or EX? On the VNX the vRPAs will be registered (if it's SE) and a storage group will be created to access the LUN, if it's EX make sure you register the vRPA, create path sets and add volume to SG.

Sent from my iPhone

2 Posts

May 15th, 2014 08:00

It is RP SE.  Sorry I should have included that in my original post.

OK so in other words don't present it to ESXi at all but place it in the storage group for RecoverPoint that the RecoverPoint Deployment Manager created when it connected to the array?  Is that correct?  I was assuming ESXi had to see it because when I selected manual is showed data stores recognized by the ESXi host.  But if I understand you correctly what you're saying makes sense.

153 Posts

May 15th, 2014 08:00

Actually the screenshots do show RP/SE but I could not see them on my phone when I responded

Correct, you do not have to do anything on the ESXi level. In RP/SE when you choose manual, it will show a list of LUNs, just select the LUN and DM will do the rest (it will create SG...etc just as in any RP/SE deployment). Please test and let me know

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

May 29th, 2014 09:00

This issue happens when both the RPA's are not reachable from the array and both the RPA's are not registered in the array.

Firstly, check the array initiators tab to cross verify if all the RPA's of the cluster are registered.

If not, You check on zoning unless it is direct connection between RPA and ARRAY.

13 Posts

April 27th, 2015 19:00

thank you! I had the same issue and was a problem in the zoning!

12 Posts

April 25th, 2017 08:00

Hi,

I am trying to deploy vRPA, and I am having the same issue. Does anyone know how to perform the zoning when using vRPA?
From the VNX side I can see that some of the Initiators are logged, to two of the iSCSI ports on the storage, but the other two seems to fail zoning.

Please advise.

1.1K Posts

April 26th, 2017 14:00

You mean registration of the RPA iSCSI initiators on the VNX array, not zoning?

Regards,

Rich

12 Posts

May 8th, 2017 08:00

Ok, let it be registering of the ISCSI initiators. How do I overcome this problem?

1.1K Posts

May 8th, 2017 11:00

Are you installing RP/SE?

Regards,

Rich

No Events found!