Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 31st, 2015 11:00

RecoverPoint for VM-installer wizard error

Hello,

I've downloaded and been working on installing the RecoverPoint for VMs try before you buy install.  I've got my 2 vRPA's set up, but when I go to run the deployment manager tool it always fails at step 11.2 (datastores).

My capacity is 1.35TB with 1.25TB free, type=VMFS.  I just sits there for a couple minutes when I click 'next' and then comes up with an error at the bottom that says "internal error, please contact customer support"

Did anyone else run across this and determine what the issue was?

22 Posts

April 1st, 2015 14:00

I guess I'm getting hung up on the storage configuration. I'm setting up the first RPA from the console and when I get to where I input the 2 iSCSI ports I assume it wants the IPs of the 2 vmkernel ports that I assigned to the host's iSCSI adapter I had to create.  When I put those in and run the SAN diagnostics it comes back with an error.  I think this is where I don't have something configured right.

Right now those 2 host vmkernel IPs are pointing to a iSCSI target that I have set up on a Windows 2k8 server. ( I thought I needed to simulate SAN connectivity.) I originally tried it with the host's 2 vkernel IPs not attached to anything.  I believe at this point I'm overcomplicating things perhaps. There is something simple I'm missing with the storage setup.

1.1K Posts

April 2nd, 2015 01:00

You need to facilitate the iSCSI relationship between the ESXi hosts and the vRPAs. To do this you need to configure Software iSCSI Adapters on every ESXi host. The DM flow takes care of the vRPA iSCSI addressing. Just make sure you use the same subnet. I have attached the latest version of the RP4VMs 4.2 Installation and Deployment Guide. Please refer to page 4 and the Configure Networking section.

1 Attachment

22 Posts

April 2nd, 2015 05:00

Thanks. That guide is newer than the one I have.  I noticed that when trying to set up the clusters it defaults to 'boxmgmt' as the user and did not let me change it. You said earlier to use 'admin/admin'

Should admin/admin also allow me SSH access?  I've tested it before and it doesn't work.

22 Posts

April 2nd, 2015 07:00

Originally neither of the iscsi vmkernel adapters were 'active'

I seem to have fixed that, but the Deployment Manager still fails at step 11.2

3 Attachments

22 Posts

April 2nd, 2015 08:00

this last time I was trying the Deployment manager I could see in the vSphere client that there was activity, but it still failed. Here is a screenshot of the datastore for one of the new RPAs I created.

1 Attachment

1.1K Posts

April 2nd, 2015 08:00

Can you check the ESXi datastores for the repository VMDK under RPvStorage sub-directory.

Rich Forshaw

Consultant Corporate Systems Engineer - RecoverPoint & VPLEX (EMEA)

Core Technologies Division

EMC2 Computer Systems (UK) Ltd

Mobile: +44 (0) 7730 781169

E-mail: richard.forshaw@emc.com

Twitter: @rw4shaw

EMC Europe Limited

Registered in England with Company No. 00990752 Registered office address: Level 1, Exchange House, Primrose Street, London C2A 2EG

The information contained in this e-mail message and any files transmitted with it are confidential. It is intended only for the addressee and others authorised to receive it. If you are not the intended recipient or the person responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you are advised that you have received the e-mail in error; please delete it and notify the sender immediately. You should not retain the message or disclose its contents to anyone. Any disclosure, copying, distribution or action taken in reliance on the contents of the e-mail and its attachments is strictly prohibited.

22 Posts

April 2nd, 2015 09:00

This may or may not be useful. From the host logs

1 Attachment

22 Posts

April 2nd, 2015 13:00

One thing I was wondering. In this first screenshot it says at step 4 to make sure at least 1 adapter is 'active'. How is an adapter going to be active when you haven't even created the iSCSI ports on the RPAs yet?  If I follow the instructions, the second attachment is what I've always seen.  both ports 'inactive'.  I have manually went into the property of the ports and added the 4 iSCSI IP addresses of the RPAs to the network configuration of the iSCSI adapter under the Dynamic Discovery tab.

2 Attachments

22 Posts

April 2nd, 2015 13:00

Just to point something else out. You had asked me earlier if I used the username/password combination of admin/admin at step 6 and I later remarked that the username was locked at 'boxmgmt' and so I used boxmgmt for the password also.  I just wanted to include a screenshot of step 6 from the blog that I mentioned earlier. This person also had 'boxmgmt' set as the username and grayed out.  So is this version perhaps bugged or something.

1 Attachment

22 Posts

April 7th, 2015 13:00

I finally got this set up.  I quit trying to configure my main site and concentrated on my remote site. It went much smoother. I don't know if it somehow had an effect on my main site, but when I went back to step 11 in the deployment manager it went right through.  One note about usernames and passwords- boxmgmt is used by default by Deployment Manager at step 6 and the password is 'boxmgmt'

At step 11.1 (the vCenter setup page) is where you should use admin/admin for the RecoverPoint credentials.

Nowhere in the instructions does it mention this. In fact, at step 13 of the install guide it says "In the vCenter Server registration screen, enter the vCenter server credentials, RecoverPoint administrator credentials, and the location of the vCenter certificate." I just searched to make sure, and nowhere does that document tell you what the credentials are for Recoverpoint, nor does it bother to differentiate between the boxmgmt and admin users. Once you get it set up you can log into the web console with either username/password combination.

On page 8 of the "RecoverPoint for VMs 4.2 Administrator's Guide"  it actually gives you the admin/admin username/password combo in reference to logging into the cluster management IP via SSH.  I think this info would have been useful during the INSTALLATION phase.

153 Posts

April 7th, 2015 15:00

Hi there,

You’re correct on the admin credentials w/ the VC registration. That field will get better labeled (pre-populated) but right now it asks for the RecoverPoint Administrator’s credentials which is the admin account.

Thanks,

Zahid Fadli

EMC2

Mobile: +17347170033

Twitter: @zDataGuy

153 Posts

April 8th, 2015 08:00

It should get auto-pushed by the vRPAs. Logout and log back into vSphere web client and/or restart vCenter vsphere web client service. As an FYI the location is /var/lib/vmware/vsphere-client/vc-packages/vsphere-client-serenity/

Thx,

Zahid Fadli

EMC2

Mobile: +17347170033

Twitter: @zDataGuy

22 Posts

April 8th, 2015 08:00

One other tidbit of information that might be helpful is the location/name of the plugin directory on the vCenter Server appliance.  Apparently that is one other thing that didn't work right for me. I don't see the plugin on my vCenter server

I'll try to manually get it working, but I want to make sure I name the directories correctly.

/usr/lib/vmware-vsphere-client/plugin-packages/????/???

22 Posts

April 8th, 2015 09:00

Yes, you are correct with that location. I see it now.  However, I have done as you suggested and it still does not appear that the plugin is working.

1 Attachment

22 Posts

April 8th, 2015 09:00

Well I guess my screenshot actually said it all, the files did not have the correct permissions.

No Events found!