Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 5th, 2010 03:00

Recoverpoint as a Virtual Appliance

Hi,

has someone of you experience with recoverpoint as a virtual appliance.

I found the following link and wanted to set up recoverpoint for testing and learning purpose on my vSphere Host, as described in the videos.

(http://virtualgeek.typepad.com/virtual_geek/2010/06/recoverpoint-as-a-virtual-appliance-vrpa.html)

The problem is, that i have no change to get vmdirectpath running on my machines, because I have only QLE2460 HBAs in each ESX host connecetd to a CX4-120. And when I enable these HBAs for vmdirectpath,  the connection to the datastores get´s lost.

Now I tried this out with NPIV, but it seems not to wrok correctly.

If anyone has done this yet, please give me a hint what to do.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

October 5th, 2010 08:00

Hi David

Myself and a colleague (Steve Hegarty) were the ones that developed the original vRPA and created the docs and camtasia files that Chad posted on his blog.

From the below, it sounds like you were using FC connectivity from the vSphere host to the CX Array?

The only way a vRPA will work is if you can 'spare' the QLA cards, as they will be dedicated to the VM that you assign them too (meaning ESX will not even see them, and therefore cannot connect to the array via them). This is most likely why you lost connectivity to the datastores.

Is this a test and dev environment? As an alternative you could connect to your datastore via iSCSI freeing up the FC cards for use by the vRPA.

Regards

Ken

117 Posts

October 5th, 2010 10:00

David,

I am sure you are aware of this, but for the benefit of others. , vRPA are not supported by EMC, so the only assistance you will get on this is via forums.  There is a plan to productized this, but until that happens EMC support will not take calls on vRPA configurations. 

-rick 

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

October 6th, 2010 02:00

Hi David

Yes, iSCSI seems like your only option...or additional  HBAs in your hosts. There is no way for the ESX host to share the QLA  cards with the vRPAs.

Hope the vRPA works out good for you. Of course as Rick mentioned, it is only for test environments now, as its not an official product yet. A lot of testing, customization and due diligence validation needs to be done by the RP team before anyone starts to use it as a product.

I'll be happy to help in any way I can in getting you going, and be sure to provide any feedback on its usefuless.

Regards

Ken

223 Posts

October 6th, 2010 02:00

Hi Ken,

you are rigth, the ESX hosts are connecetd via FC to the Clariion in out test environment.

I had the idea too, to connect the host via iSCSI to the Clariion but I hade the hope that there would be another workaround, for example using VMware´s NPIV. But this doesn´t work in my tests.

So as I see the only way would be the iSCSI solution, right?

Best thanks for you help. And you did a great job in developing this vRPA!!

Regards

David

No Events found!