Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 6th, 2013 00:00

Recoverpoint vs Actifio

Hello ;

Is there any body who compete with actifio before ? I need the comprasion between Recoverpoint and Actifio with technical perspective ?

Briefly I offer to my customer three vnx solution (one of them is already belong to customer ) ,two of them are doing CDP at primary location and there is CRR replication between the third one .

And Actifio sustained that CDP is not a good option during the recovering huge datas?

Waiting your response

Thank you very much .

11 Posts

December 6th, 2013 07:00

Hi,

Can you describe in more detail the problem your customer is trying to solve, and how Actifio is proposed to address it?

Is this a 3 site solution ? Is the distance between the two primary sites within VPLEX sync limits (up to 5ms roundtrip latency)?

Best,

Boaz

2 Posts

December 6th, 2013 08:00

Hi Boaz ;

Thanks for the reply.

Actually the current situation I am competing with Actifio;

I am attaching attached solution .

Our customer currently has VNX 5300 and I am offering additional two more VNX 5200 One of them will do CDP with VNX 5300 and CRR to other VNX 5200 .

This is the first time that I compete with Actifio that's why I need to know a bit more technical weak points of Actifio.

Thanks

11 Posts

December 6th, 2013 12:00

Hi,

While I do not see the attachment, it is worthwhile to note that RecoverPoint and Actifio address very different objectives. RecoverPoint addresses the need to minimize RPO and assumes the customer goal is to resume operations as quickly as possible. RecoverPoint provides the unique ability to go back to any point in time while utilizing a constant level of storage consumption .

RecoverPoint by design maintains a symmetrical infrastructure on the production and DR sites to enable picking up operations on the DR site with no delay, and failing back with minimal disruption.

Actifio on the other hand is designed to minimize storage consumption. It does not include the ready-for production LUNs on the DR site. Further it is not designed to provide any point in time recovery.

Some questions you may wish to probe with your customer are:

• Does Actifio support Any Point in Time recovery or only scheduled snaps with limited points in time?
  • What happens during a disaster? How easy is it to resume operations on the surviving site - do you have the DR storage allocated to support the applications or do you need to somehow migrate the data onto these LUNS?
  • How easy is it to fail back? Can you use the same configuration settings for bi-directional replication so that you can continue operations on the recovery site while populating the production LUNS to be ready for failback?
  • What happens in Sync Replication when the network misbehaves? Can Actifio dynamically switch between the preferred Sync mode to Async mode?
  • In a disaster scenario, what are the performance characteristics of the Actifio system compared to a dedicated VNX 5200 system?
  • How does Actifio protect and validate the deduplicated data on their disk pool?  Do they  perform checkpoints or any kind of integrity check?  What if a block gets corrupted?
  • What does their support organization look like?

Regards,

Boaz

1.1K Posts

December 6th, 2013 13:00

I'd also add:

• Is it important to allow easy access of replicated data whilst maintaining replication? RecoverPoint does this using its image access capability in conjunction with a consistency group's journal.
  • Is roll back and roll forwards of replicated data during the above a requirement? RecoverPoint facilitates this by allowing a customer to quickly and easily switch between different snapshots held in the journal.
  • Do Actifio support selective PiT with SRM. RecoverPoint does this in conjunctoin with the VSI 5.5 plugin.
  • Is multiple copies of data to different geographical sites a requirement. RecoverPoint provides a 1:4 fan-out copy capability.
  • RecoverPoint will also offer a snapshot shipping capability akin to that of Actifio.
No Events found!