Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 4th, 2017 21:00

Suspend and resume VM -VRPA

Hello,

I use recoverpoint for vm. Yesterday i protected 3 vm include 2 app server and 1 DB as one Consistency Group. after click the finish button virtual machine's disk become write-protected and cause of data corruption. I check VM logs and see virtual machine suspend and resume two times. so please explain why vm suspend and resume?, how do i protect virtual machines without side effects?,

Regards,

Mohammad

675 Posts

December 5th, 2017 10:00

Hi there,

We issue a FSR (Fast suspend and resume) to be able to split the protected VMDKs (one time operation when the VM is first protected). That operation is not impactful to protected VMs at all, by design.

Did you raise a SR to further investigate the issue here ? Please contact me offline.

Regards,

Idan Kentor

RecoverPoint Corporate Systems Engineering

Idan.kentor@emc.com

19 Posts

January 29th, 2018 00:00

Hello Idan,

did you receive a Response from him (offline) ? I had a very similar issue. The VM (SLES) has a corrupt filesystem which was not recoverable and must be restore. It seems that the Problem is the "Fast suspend and resume", this failed for some reason.

Best Regards

Sven Richter

247 Posts

February 6th, 2018 05:00

Hi Sven and Mohammad,

Which versions of RP4VM are you running? We're experiencing issues as well (Exchange servers going offline briefly), but no corruption that we know of. Running version 5.1 SP1 patch 1.

Cheers,

Jon

675 Posts

February 6th, 2018 05:00

Hi there,

We need to further analyze as this is not expected and might not be related to the FSR. Did you raise a SR with support ?

Regards,

Idan

247 Posts

February 6th, 2018 07:00

Hi Idan,

Just opened SR 10069823 for this specific connection drop. Will upload logs.

Thanks,

Jon

19 Posts

February 6th, 2018 23:00

Hello Idan,

yes i opened a SR days before see this thread. The SR is 09937158 but Robert found nothing. We also open a case with VMware but unfortunalty we had  issue with unused emulex Drivers which set Scratch Partition to Default after a reboot and so no usefull logs are available - Case is still open. But the defect VM which must be restored from backup are still existing and can be analyzed id necessary.

Would be happy if we found the root of this issue because we must left customer with a bad Feeling hoping not happen again (unfortunatly that error cost him thousands of Dollars.)

Thank you

Best Regards

Sven

19 Posts

February 7th, 2018 00:00

Hi Idan,

sure I also think it is a combination of vSphere orchestrated commands initiated through Recoverpoint not Recoverpoint itself.

Best Regards

Sven  

675 Posts

February 7th, 2018 00:00

Let's take this offline Sven, I would definitely like to get to the bottom of it, I'm not sure this is related to RP4VMs but we definitely need to be sure.

Regards,

Idan

Idan Kentor

RecoverPoint Corporate Systems Engineering

Idan.kentor@emc.com

19 Posts

February 8th, 2018 04:00

Hello Idan,

i want to share some Information. I had the Chance to analyze the corrupt VM. Other than expected from me, the vm was able to boot and we are able to start Application. We see in logs also a last entry at same timestamp bevor RP try to protect them. So it seems that it was more a lock on vmdk or similar and no data was lost. I think it is important here .. No Data was changed or destroyed but something prevent Access to VMDK maybe.

Best Regards

Sven

No Events found!