Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

September 12th, 2014 02:00

vRPA lost iSCSI connection to VNX on one Site de/register fixed this for some time

Hi All,

i`m having a problem at a customer. I installed at a Customer a vRPA Recoverpoint solution based on 2 vRPA on each Site backed by a VNX5300, async 300Mbit . Everything works fine. The customer has already a Recoverpoint solution with 2 other VNX but all physical and FC synchronous replication.

Now the (only) Problem, where I don`t know if this is VNX/RPA/Network related. All iSCSI  Connections has her own vlan`s everything was connected, vMotion is working fine.

But 1 vRPA on one Site has a Problem, because he lost 1 or sometimes 2 iSCSi connections. Rebooting the vRPA solves sometime the connection to this iSCSI initiator sometimes not. The only way to get it back to full redundancy is to deregister this initiator and register this again (also check the box under RP storagegroup to connect the new initiator in engineering mode). Now it is no problem to vMotion the vRPA to all other ESX-Hosts to check the connection is still there.

After some Time this connection get lost and you have to play this game again, which is in some kind frustrating .

Before I raise a SR (I found nothing in EMC knowledgebase ), I would ask if anybody has a idea or seen same failure.

Thank you

Regards

Sven

1.1K Posts

September 16th, 2014 04:00

Hi Sven,

This could be for several different reasons and I have seen a similar situation where the vRPA has to be deregistered, the repository volume reformatted and the vRPA re-registered.

That said, such situations require rca of the logs.

Regards,

Rich

19 Posts

October 22nd, 2014 23:00

Hi Rich,

sorry i failed to answer you. There was a lot of projects and my holidays. You are right the reason can be in many ways, but i never had such a situation and i installed a lot physical RPA and i never had some problems. Also this iSCSI version works fine, as long as the initiators are logged in .. I have a excellent contact to the customer, so he is very relaxed with this situation . I will open a SR and will see what the reason is.

Thank you

Regards

Sven

1.1K Posts

October 27th, 2014 08:00

Hi Sven,

There is a specific issue related to iSCSI and vRPAs and it may well be that your customer is experiencing this. The logs should confirm this.

Regards,

Rich

26 Posts

May 12th, 2015 08:00

Sven,

were you able to resolve this issue? If so can you please provide some details? Appears that I'm having the same issue.

Can anyone please let know if I restart one of the vRPAs on a site, the other vRPA will take over?

No Events found!