Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 23rd, 2009 07:00

000600 Error: Storage device could not be located on supported arrays

I have 2 servers (1 file server, 1 Exchange 2003 server) attached to my Clariion CX4-120 via direct fiber connection that reside in a different domain than all of my other servers on the 4-120, including my RM server. I had no problem adding these 2 servers as "Hosts" on my RM server. However, when I try to run a snap job, the job fails with the following error:

000600 ERROR: Storage device ABC could not be located on supported arrays. Please check if there are problems communicating with the storage array.

Seeing my RM server resides in a different domain than these 2 servers, I feel I am overlooking some small "host" file or config file that I have to edit to tell it the IP address of my RM server, or something like that. Am I in the right ball park? Old version of RM 4 was setup years ago, and the solutions architect that designed our SAN did the RM installs, so I am not sure what provisions (if any) he had to make on the servers that are attached to our SAN but live in a separate domain from my RM server.

Aran and James: I tell my boss how helpful these forums have been, in particular the help I' I've received from you two. I've been in other forums that are useless...However, I almost always seem to get the answers I need related to EMC in these forums. So for that, I am very thankful!

-Jon

2.2K Posts

March 23rd, 2009 09:00

Well James is THE MAN when it comes to RM support in this forum. I have a little bit of experience with the product and get lucky now and then ;-)

So just thinking off the top of my head, for your RM server to run a snap job for the two hosts in question the RM server needs to be able to authenticate to the production host and the array. Configuring array authentication is no problem. In the creation of your application set I think you can specify the credentials for the application. Have you specified credentials for the application that has the proper application and local system rights for the production host?

54 Posts

March 23rd, 2009 09:00

Since the post this morning, I came across and looked at the settings of the CLARCNFG file, and it lists my array, and the 2 appropriate IP addresses of the 2 SPs. Still failing on the snap jobs though with the error in the original post. Do I have to add a path statement or something?

Thanks,
Jon

54 Posts

March 23rd, 2009 10:00

Thanks for the reply Aran. I'm not even sure what you mean, but will go in and kill the application set (real qucik to recreate) and see if there is any smoking gun, or area where I can supply crednetials.

Thanks,
Jon

2.2K Posts

Well the CLARCNFG is for host to array configuration. I don't know if that is your issue but check a few things out first...

Can you successfully perform the CLARiiON array discovery from the RM server?
Do you production and mount hosts show up properly in the Connectivity Status of the array, showing that they are logged in and registered?
Can you run NaviCLI commands from all hosts (in other words, is the navicli directory in the PATH statement) ?

Some other things that come to mind from the "000600 Error: Storage device could not be located on supported arrays" error is that is it possible you have selected a source volume that is not on the array?

What about the Reserved LUN Pool and Clone Private LUNs? Are they both fully configured?
If you run the config checker on the hosts, does it successfully discover the CLARiiON and NaviCLI?

54 Posts

Thanks for the reply Aran. I'm not even sure what you mean, but will go in and kill the application set (real qucik to recreate) and see if there is any smoking gun, or area where I can supply crednetials.

Thanks,
Jon

54 Posts

Thanks Aran. I'm not 100% sure what you mean, but will delete and recreate the application set and see if there is a place for me to supply credentials. I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks,
Jon

54 Posts

Thanks Aran. I'm not 100% sure what you mean, but will delete and recreate the application set and see if there is a place for me to supply credentials. I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks,
Jon

54 Posts

March 23rd, 2009 11:00

Thanks,
Jon

2.2K Posts

March 23rd, 2009 11:00

Jon,
I know you can specify credentials when creating a SQL application set, but don't know about Exchange, and I am pretty sure it is not an option when creating a file system application set.

So the issue could be the RM server to RM host authentication. Are the domains trusted? Can the account that the RM uses for authentication be added to the local Administrators group in the hosts that are in the separate domain?

2.2K Posts

March 23rd, 2009 13:00

ummm..... what's going on Jon? Do you have a auto reply on?

257 Posts

March 24th, 2009 01:00

Hey :-)

That error relates to the fact that through some component, RM could not resolve the application -> filesystem -> storage array lun.

So, what do we use there to do this.

Exchange, we'll use the credentials presented to use at agent config time and appset config time. That allows us to make some Exchange API calls to determine what an SG is made up on in terms of filesystems.
Example Sg1 = G: and H:

SQL, we use the credientals at appset create time and run sql queries to get the same info of a database,
Example DB1 = D: and L:

We then use Solutions Enabler SYMAPI in conjunction with Navicli to determine what those filesystems corresspond to on the array, to obtain the Array Lun IDs.

So, something breaks down somewhere.
I am guessing in the latter, as you have been able to config the appset.

Troubleshooting steps
Ensure the Navicli and Solutions enabler path is in your system path statement
Typically they would be
C:\Program Files\EMC\Navisphere CLI\
C:\Program Files\EMC\SYMCLI\bin

They could be in Program Files x86, so please check.

What version of SE are you running and what platform? x86 or x64?
If you have SE licensed (which you dont need to with RM), we could run a simple SE command called symrslv to resolve the filesystem to array

eg symrslv fs G:

James.

54 Posts

March 24th, 2009 06:00

Aran,
I'm just getting your replies now. Not sure why my same reply was posted 5 times! I know I tried posting that response 2 times, and I got errors on powerlinks page (both tmes). I figured PowerLink was having issues, so I am just revisiting now. Have no idea though why after your posts, my reply seemed to "auto-post" itself. I only intended that reply once. I didn't want you to think I was losing my mind here :-)

I'll check now what you suggested.

Thanks Aran!
Jon

54 Posts

March 24th, 2009 06:00

Not sure what the F$#@ is going on with the auto-reply. I was in meeting yesterday afternoon during the time stamp of last few posts. I know that I was getting errors on the page yesterday, so please realize that I was not replying over and over to your replies with the same post.

If it persists today, I'll contcat EMC to let them know.

2.2K Posts

March 24th, 2009 07:00

James,
Would the cross domain authentication have anything to do with this as well? For example, if the RM server and production host are in different Windows domains would the RM server not be able to run it's jobs on the production host if authentication failed?

Aran

2.2K Posts

March 24th, 2009 07:00

Hi Jon,
Yeah, I thought RM had finally made you go crazy and and an auto response was all you cold manage :D

Read through James' post, he has lots of good info as always and has provided a good starting point for troubleshooting.

Aran
No Events found!