Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 1st, 2010 10:00

RM 5.2.2 and Windows 2008 x64

I am planning out the build of a new server to host the Replication Manager Server componenet and was wondering if an EMCer could confirm that the configuration I want to use is supported. I just read through the latest RM ESM, 5.2.2 Release Notes, and emc212416, and used them as a reference for the configuration.

Operating System: Windows 2008 R2 x64 Enterprise Edition

Solutions Enabler 7.10.17 x64

Replication Manager 5.2.2

So based on my research it looked like I can run RM Server on a x64 host running a x64 version of SE? One version of Windows I did not see in the ESM was Windows 2008 x64 SP2. Any word on when that would be supported?

Thanks,

Aran

257 Posts

February 1st, 2010 23:00

Hey Aran

You?!?!  Asking a question!!?  

So, yes, here are the answers

* SE 7.1.0.17 is supported will be in the Febuary RM ESM for Windows. x64 variant too.
* RM Server is supported on the x64 editions of Windows 2008, Windows 2008 SP2, and Windows 2008 R2.

Good to go!

Cheers
James.

2.2K Posts

February 2nd, 2010 08:00

Heh heh, funny guy. Thanks James

Good news then. I have a shiny new server for SAN management and it will be my new RM and SMC server, along with some other tools.

So another question (yes, thats two!)...

I have found very little information on a migration from one RM server to another. I did find a reference to a procedure that was outlined in an obscure primus artilce that was only available to a select group of insiders that know a secret handshake. And google didn't return any results on the handshare so I am out of luck there.

One thought I had for the process was to setup the new RM server as a secondary server, perform a failover to the new server, then set the new server as the primary. Once it is confirmed to work I could always make it a stand alone server again or set another server as the secondary. Other than that it seems like my only other options are to re-create the jobs one by one.

Any thoughts on this? As an enduser do I have any other options for a migration without engaging PS?

257 Posts

February 2nd, 2010 13:00

Hi Aran

As an avid hacker (hacker means make better through tweaking!) of the RM server database, I can think of many ways to do this

PS the secret handshake is $$$ :-)

But I would go with emc218841

Migration Analysis for Standalone RM Server 

On the host you are migrating FROM

1. Verify the Replication Manager version is at least 5.2.0.  If not upgrade before migrating.
  2. Run command “ird -s -P admins“ to normalize the solid DB password to ‘admins’ .
  3. Disable all schedules in the RM console.
  4. It is highly recommended to unmount all replicas and delete all CLARiiON snapshot replicas.
  5. Stop the RM Server Service.
  6. Set the startup type to disabled for the RM server service.
  7. Save the following files/folders under the rm install location.

a. serverdb\data\solid.db
    b. serverdb\log folder
    c. serverdb\store folder
    d. server\license folder

On the host you are Migrating TO:    

WARNING: The host you are migrating TO should be a fresh install of RM 5.2.2 any existing configuration will be overwritten by this migration.

1. Install Replication Manager 5.2 SP2.
  2. Stop the RM server service.
  3. Replace the files/folders under the rm install directory with those saved in step 7 above.
  4. In the rm\server\bin location execute “ins_serv start”.
  5. Log into the console and enable all schedules.

Recommendation is to leave the old RM server installed until the new RM server is verified.  DO NOT start the old RM server as it could result in data loss if the new server is running. 

2.2K Posts

February 2nd, 2010 14:00

James, you simply rock! Thank you so much for the process. I am "sitting on a rainbow" now as one of my favorite RM support guys likes to say (yes, I have called in often enough that he tends to pick up my cases).

I will buy you one of our fine local beers if you are ever in town!

31 Posts

February 3rd, 2010 01:00

that sounds so much easier.

2.2K Posts

February 3rd, 2010 07:00

SKT,

What process did you use for a migration?

31 Posts

February 3rd, 2010 22:00

I have not done  a migration . But there is a possible migration comign up due to performance issue with the server(2 CPU). Same server serves as a ECC server too. But i am inclined  take out ECC and move to a 4 CPU one even though it is time consuming.

But as per the procee above copying data/store/licens/log does the magic. So incase we need to roll back(with changes occured on new RM server), will copying the folders in the opposite direction servers the purpose?

2.2K Posts

February 4th, 2010 07:00

I would think a migration in the reverse would work as well. Just keep the two RM servers at the same revision level to address any compatibility issues.

I am in a similar situation. When we first deployed ECC and RM a few years ago we put them on the same server. That was a mistake. So I am moving RM off to a new server and leaving ECC as the only product running on the existing server. RM plays nice with some other SAN management products but I found ECC to be difficult to work with when upgrading SE.

31 Posts

February 9th, 2010 01:00

I was reading the internal datbase recovery part in the RM guide and tells about the importnace of restoring ~serverdb/backups folder too. I doubt if that is applicable to you too while you migrate.

1 Message

April 14th, 2010 00:00

Hi Everyone,

I'm just trying my luck here for the help.

We are in the midst of planning too, update RM from 5.2.0 to 5.2.2.

Our existing environment has RM 5.2.0 with Java 6 update 10 with Windows/CX-380 and Exchange Cluster CCR environment.

Can you help me check if RM 5.2.2 supports Java 6 update 19 (critical update) and if we move to 5.2.2 do we still require Java for Mount Host and Production, or only in RM Server?

Thanks!

Don Gonzales

No Events found!