Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

AN

April 9th, 2014 12:00

Replication Manager orchestrating replication between VNXe

I'll do a block replication between two VNXe, and I was informed about mandatory to licensing "Application and Protection Suite" to use Replication Manager in this scenario.

This software is composed by server, console and agent, so, let's my doubt:

- if my server (physical or virtual) with RM components fail, my replication fails too ?

In other words, I'll be hostage of RM in my replication? I've searched in many documents but doesn't found one technical explanation and EMC Presales Support already response that isn't a dependency, but I need to understand better for explain for my customer.

Thanks.

April 9th, 2014 13:00

Not sure if I'm answering your question or not, but Replication Manager is a client server app where the "RM Server" runs on a windows server and in a typical env, this RM server schedules/runs the RM Jobs that are setup on your RM Clients.

(In this case, the servers that see your VNXe disks)

If the server (physical or virtual) where the RM Server is install has issues, like a crash, in most cases this would prevent the RM software from executing the backups.  There is a feature of RM where you can setup "RM Server disater recovery" such that there is a secondary/backup server. From RM Admin Guide:

"..

In the event that the primary Replication Manager Server host

becomes unavailable, you can designate the secondary Replication

Manager Server as the primary server and have it take over and

manage the replication process. Because the secondary server’s

Replication Manager database has been kept in synch with the

primary server’s database, there is no loss of data..."

For more information on Replication Manager and VNXe, you might want to check out the RM Admin guide and the RM Product Guide for more info on what can be done with the VNXe.

I hope this helps!

April 10th, 2014 06:00

Hi Jay,

great response! You're correct, it's about "DR" of RM server. I found this section that you said in Admin Guide and is explained very clear how RM works in case of a failure. Solution is do one cluster of RM server.

Thank you!

No Events found!