Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 1st, 2010 02:00

Replication Manager with VSphere RDM and virtual disks

hello,

I am implementing my first celerra-to-celerra replication of various VM in vSphere environment, some of my VMs have virtual disks (VMDK)

others have VMDK and RDM physical disks with MS-SQL on them.

I wish to replicate consistently SQL on RDM and also VMDK disks; reading through "RM Administrator Manual" I found some constraints

on whitch I would like to be confirmed:

1) RM Admin Manual Pg. 309 states "Disaster recovery of celerra Raw Device Mapping LUN requires RPQ" --- what does this actually mean ? Since on pg. 288 explains how to replicate a RDM, if I can replicate a RDM can I also mount it on a remote celerra as a DR ? I thought yes....

2) RM Admin Manual Pg. 270 states " Virtual disk support by Replication Manager requires that each virtual disk is to be the only virtual disk in its datastore (VMFS)...."

this means that I have to bild a LUN/DataStore for each single virtual disk? Manual is very clear on that but I want to be sure since I should modify

my present datastore configuration that has more than one VD on a single datastore like on the vast majority of VMware installations

thanks in advance to anyone that would clarify my doubts

Gianluigi

14 Posts

October 21st, 2011 10:00

Unfortunately, I don't have answers to your questions but RM Watchers D/L may be a better place to ask these as majority of EMC RM community subsscribe to it.

No Events found!