Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 28th, 2012 03:00

open migrator?

Hi team,

Please explain me what does open migrator do?... is this s/w a host based migration s/w and whats the advantage of this compared to sancopy? I want to migrate data from cx4 to vnx which are in the same data center. As  i know that EMC provides free 180 day trial sancopy license for migrating data from cx4 to vnx but for only 10TB data and less than 20 hosts.  but i have total of 20 tb data for migration.

Please kindly suggest me if we have to rely on sancopy or on open migrator or any other s/w for migration?

Also kindly send me a document related to open migrator for migration.

Regards,

Pranav.

May 28th, 2012 06:00

Open Migrator is a Host based migration. You need to first install Open Migrator Software and attach the filter driver to the drives and reboot the host. Then start the migration. Both the source and the target devices should be visible to the host. Target should be formatted and a drive letter assigned to it. After the migration is 100% sync, you have to complete the migration, Reboot the host. Drive letters will automatically swap. It requires a few reboots.

SanCopy is on the other hand a San based solution. If you have 20tb of data, since Open Migrator is a host based migration, it will take comparatively longer time and performance impacts will be there.

You can download the Open Migrator Product guide from Powerlink.

Another good software for Migration is Powerpath Migration Enabler (PPME). Its license is freely available from License department. It is also a host based migration Utility. However it does not require many reboots. It is a good tool for online live migrations. Its documentation is also available on Powerlink.

40 Posts

June 24th, 2012 19:00

If allowed, MirrorView/S is best migration tool for your case, IMHO.

With the MirrorView/S, you can migrate data easily and fastest between CX and VNX  with only 1 time disruption when changing the production storage.

The MirrorView/S is the S/W for DR but very useful for data migration also.

No Events found!