Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 28th, 2009 03:00

use VM as Mount Host

Hi, I have taken snapshots of a server and i would like to use a mount host to mount the snapshot and use it for recovery testing. The original snapshot is from a physical server which is a member of a cluster.

Does RM have the capability to use a Virtual Machine as a Mount Host?

2.2K Posts

September 28th, 2009 09:00

Yep, I am absolutely sure it is supported. You can mount snapshots or clones of a physical host to a VM. The snap/clone is mapped to the VM as a Physcial mode Raw Device Mapping disk.

2.2K Posts

September 28th, 2009 08:00

Yes it does, there is a section in the Administrators Guide that covers VMware setup and configurations. There is also a whitepaper titled "EMC CLARiiON Integration with VMware eSX Server" on powerlink. Search on that title name and you should find it.

What version of RM are you running. The ESX integration has really improved in the last few releases.

71 Posts

September 28th, 2009 09:00

we are using RM 5.2 service pack 1.

i have not fully read the admin guide for RM + Vmware yet.

are you certain that it states that an NTFS disk from physical server can be mounted to a VM that is going to be the mount host.

this would mean that there is some method of presenting an NTFS disk to an ESX server and then mounting it to a VM - usually the VM disk is allocated thorugh a datastore!

16 Posts

March 10th, 2010 12:00

Hi...

We were also planning to do the same thing..

so could you please elaborate on the process of how to go about doing the same...

do we need proxy server here as our RM server and console both are running on VM...

2.2K Posts

March 15th, 2010 11:00

Have you read the chapter called VMware Setup in the Replication Manager Administrator's guid? That chapter should answer most of your questions. There is a subsection on replicating/mounting RDMs with CLARiiONs.

No Events found!