Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 12th, 2011 20:00

Worry about performance of virtualized SAP?!?

if you have a look at this SAP standard application benchmark

http://download.sap.com/download.epd?context=40E2D9D5E00EEF7C28E4E62D4CB15EA689A3B74B610938E909A53777CAF358AA

the existing is only 6% overhead compared to native

But I still have some concern on it, thereis only 1 VM running over a physical, it might be good to represent performance

of VMware bare, but I think one of value of virtualization is consolidation.

Any idea of running multi SAP VM on physical

server?

Eddy

161 Posts

October 12th, 2011 23:00

Eddy,

You present powerful test on single 1VM running. We ever met some scenario cosisting of multiple VM. As we know, the different configuration of SAP environment makes big difference performance. We are searching ideas on multi SAP VM but what is the component installed for multiple VMs? All like the single on equiped with SAP ERP 6.0?

regards,

Louis

225 Posts

October 13th, 2011 03:00

Louis, you are right. Customized SAP environment would vary VM/Physical configuration.

In current world, performance impact on VM environment is a key fact make customer hesitate to move forward. This certification represents VMware bare performance well (6% drop), but there is only 1VM on ESX service, in a typical SAP environment, there might be over 50 servers, therefore 1 ESX would running more than 1 VM in user case.

I like to know if any reference?

Thanks,

98 Posts

October 13th, 2011 06:00

Ah!  But there is a use case for a single virtual machine on physical server.  Vmotion.  For disaster recovery and workload mobility VMware is an amazingly powerful choice (even better when you virtualize the storage using something like VPLEX). 

If you've got a high performance application that NEEDS dedicated hardware but you still want to leverage the benefits of virtualization a 1:1 relationship between the VM/ESX server makes a compelling choice.

R.

225 Posts

October 14th, 2011 01:00

Rob, agree with your @ some degree.

I think people is still hesitating moving SAP database to visualization platform due to their concerns on performance and support, etc, therefor I believe in current phase SAP landscape virtualization happen on Web portal/application level.( Correct me, if my understanding on current SAP environment is wrong. ) , then 1:1 virtualization does not usually happen. It is reason I like to see any reference of N:1 virtualization performance of SAP system.

But you are right, in a full virtualized environment, both of computing and storage resource are mobile, it is great to business agility.

98 Posts

October 18th, 2011 10:00

Really?  I'm seeing a trend on this community as well as elsewhere that's all about replatformining SAP environments to Linux so they CAN be virtualized. 

I think the concept of the cloud is compelling.  It's not easy to take a legacy environment and convert it but I think the thought leadership is embracing virtualization for a couple of reasons:

1.  Commodity hardware

2.  Application mobility

3.  Ease of deployment

4.  Consistent environmentals.

Now, not necessarily in that order.  Virtualization (even in a 1:1 scenario) is compelling.  Consistency alone is a huge driver. 

Whatcha think?

R.

225 Posts

October 18th, 2011 19:00

I don’t disagree with the trend your observed.

As we know, SAP system’s 3-Tiered implementation is popular in SAP customer environment because of its scalability and reliability. On application lay (2rd Tier), Linux hosts are implemented much because of Netweave and Java tech, but on the Database lay, legacy Town Unix system is still the biggest player. The good trend is that Oracle RAC virtualized with VMware, the benefit of this, you can have a look @ here, https://community.emc.com/community/connect/everything_vmware/blog/2011/10/11/bonus-webcast-top-five-reasons-to-virtualize-oracle-with-vmware-and-emc

HANA is SAP tech I expected to break up legacy system’s bonds, unfortunately it would not be available on SAP business suite in near years.

Any thoughts?

Eddy

98 Posts

October 21st, 2011 08:00

Our buddy Tim has some good stuff on replatforming SAP environments.  It's right here:  https://community.emc.com/community/connect/everything_sap/blog/2011/10/07/tim-nguyens-blog-on-why-people-should-no-longer-wait-to-virtualize-sap-with-vmware

I point this out 'cause our thought leaders in the SAP space are all over it.

Tim's blog posts on this community are great reads.

R.

225 Posts

October 24th, 2011 03:00

All 4 key point of reasons of Replatforming SAP on Intel X86 with VMware are definitely hitting existing legacy SAP environment, High OPEX.

Nice.

Eddy

225 Posts

October 24th, 2011 03:00

There is a coming Webcast, https://community.emc.com/thread/127504, about replatforming SAP environments.

It looks exciting.

Eddy

November 7th, 2011 21:00

Indeed ,the customer has a concern on SAP performance when migrating their SAP systems to VM/Linux platform. for Vsphere 4. the VMware only support 8 VCPUs, for some big SAP system, the performance couldn't meet the customer requirement. currently for Vsphere 5, VM can support 32Vcpu. the performance could meet a lot of customers' requirement.

Normmally customers like to migrate their DEV, QAS and DI to VM/linux platform, regardging the Database instance we always use Unix system.

In this year SAP Teched. SAP will deliver  SAP netweaver landscape virtualization managemnt for SAP customers in order to accerlate SAP cloud.

No Events found!