Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 23rd, 2015 06:00

Installation of SDC on ESXi without disk (only SD card)

Hi,

We have ESXi node with only SD card for ESXi OS, no real local disk.

I would like to install SDC on the ESXi.

We will add some disk on some ESXi in the futur, but not now.

I install 1.32 with the PS1, web plugin,  SVM template.

(VCENTER 5.5U2)

When i want to install SDC, I only see my node with disk, not all the node with SD card. (a spare cluster and a little cluster, not the 3 others clusters)

May be there are a check somewhere ?

Regards

1 Attachment

9 Posts

June 23rd, 2015 19:00

I had a similar problem (unable to select some nodes in vCenter).  In the end, I had to manually install the SDC package via the "esxcli software vib..." command.

Here is a good link to reference to manually install the package:  Install scaleio 1.31 SDC on esx 5.5

3 Posts

June 24th, 2015 00:00

Hi,

Thanks.

I use this procedure, and i have manage to install the SDC.

My version :

esxcli software acceptance set --level=PartnerSupported

esxcli software vib install -d

where full_path_to_VIBis the full path to the sdc-1.32.XXX.X-esx5.5.zip

Reboot esxi.

esxcli system module parameters set -m scini -p "IoctlIniGuidStr= IoctlMdmIPStr= "

esxcli system module load -m scini

Reboot esxi.

esxcli system module list | grep sci

scini                               true        true

I should also re-map coredump partition :

esxcli system coredump partition set --partition="mpx.vmhba33:C0:T0:L0:7"

esxcli system coredump partition set --enable=true

esxcli system coredump partition list

And register the MDM on the vsphere web UI.

The ESXi is well shown as SDC (i have no make test yet), and I see all the other SDS, SDC,...

So it is working, without the "real" SVM VM, but with my own VM on linux as SDS clusters.

Regards

June 30th, 2015 02:00

Hi,

We tried to reproduce the problem in our lab, but it doesn’t reproduces on our environment (we’ve deleted all the disks on the RAID controller except for the boot disk and deleted all datastores that the ESX was aware of).

In order to proceed we need the following info - once you reproduce the problem (if possible), or if you have the historic relevant info:

1. Logs + configuration files

Windows:

C:\ProgramData\VMware\vSphere Web Client\serviceability\logs

C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming\VMware\scaleio

Linux:

"/var/log/vmware/vsphere-client/" or "/storage/log/vmware/vsphere-client/logs"

/opt/.vmware/scaleio

2. Info from vSphere client:

- List of Devices you see on that ESX (I’m assuming there is only one).

- List of storage adapters you see on that ESX  (do you see 0 storage adapters?).

Thanks,

Tomer

3 Posts

June 30th, 2015 05:00

Hi,

I try to go on the wizard to add SDC on ESX node :

I found on logs :

[2015-06-30 13:47:37.212] [ERROR] pool-100-thread-16            com.emc.ecs.vSpherePlugin.remoteServices.vmware.VMwareService     Failed to get host from dns name srv-virt-3.mgmt.pri.XXXXXXx.com java.rmi.RemoteException: VI SDK invoke exception:com.vmware.vim25.InvalidRequest

at com.vmware.vim25.ws.WSClient.invoke(WSClient.java:122)

at com.vmware.vim25.ws.VimStub.retrieveDiskPartitionInfo(VimStub.java:3072)

at com.vmware.vim25.mo.HostStorageSystem.retrieveDiskPartitionInfo(HostStorageSystem.java:294)

at com.emc.ecs.vSpherePlugin.remoteServices.vmware.VMwareClient.getPartitionsFormat(VMwareClient.java:1174)

at com.emc.ecs.vSpherePlugin.remoteServices.vmware.VMwareService.getNameToPartitionMap(VMwareService.java:835)

at com.emc.ecs.vSpherePlugin.remoteServices.vmware.VMwareService.getEsxCustomFields(VMwareService.java:759)

at com.emc.ecs.vSpherePlugin.remoteServices.vmware.VMwareService.getESX(VMwareService.java:1089)

at com.emc.ecs.vSpherePlugin.remoteServices.vmware.VMwareService$3.call(VMwareService.java:576)

at com.emc.ecs.vSpherePlugin.remoteServices.vmware.VMwareService$3.call(VMwareService.java:573)

at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(Unknown Source)

at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(Unknown Source)

at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

[2015-06-30 13:47:39.222] [ERROR] pool-100-thread-1             com.emc.ecs.vSpherePlugin.remoteServices.vmware.VMwareService     Failed to get host information for the following hosts: [srv-virt-5.mgmt.pri.XXXXXXx.com, srv-virt-1.mgmt.sec.XXXXXXx.com, srv-virt-3.mgmt.pri.XXXXXXx.com, srv-virt-1.mgmt.pri.XXXXXXx.com, srv-virt-1.mgmt.paris.XXXXXXx.com, srv-virt-2.mgmt.sec.XXXXXXx.com, srv-virt-3.mgmt.sec.XXXXXXx.com, srv-virt-2.mgmt.pri.XXXXXXx.com, srv-virt-2.mgmt.paris.XXXXXXx.com, srv-virt-4.mgmt.pri.XXXXXXx.com]

So, with only SD card, the function retrieveDiskPartitionInfo seems to fail, and stop the host information.

I manage past week to install sdc with manual command, so "it is possible" but the ESXi info parser are "too mush sensible" in our case.

On the ESXi with have local SD card, and SAN and NAS datastore, witch FC storage adapter (and now, with my manual install, the "no name FC adapter" of SDC). On ESXi without the SDC install I have only my FC storage adapter.

Regards

July 4th, 2015 23:00

Your logs were very helpful, we believe we found the problem, and the fix is awaiting validation.

Once validated, I'll update (fix is targeted for our next release 1.32.1 -> 1.32 patch_1).

No Events found!