Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 14th, 2015 13:00

ScaleIO 1.32 - createSvmTemplate.ps1?

Hi, I'm evaluating ScaleIO community edition on our development infrastructure.

In the deployment guides for 1.30 there appears to be a script called "createSvmTemplate.ps1".

I can't find this in the 1.32 download media - does anyone know where to find it?

I have uploaded the ova template manually and have deployed the vsphere plugin into vsphere6 but I find I needed to do the following on each host after transferring the sdc-1.32.343.0-esx6.0.zip file;

# esxcli software acceptance set --level=PartnerSupported

# esxcli software vib install -d /vmfs/volumes/DCS_vd09/ISOs/vsphere6/sdc-1.32.343.0-esx6.0.zip

I'm then able to at-least proceed to select the VMware hosts for deployment. If I don't perform the above I get a message saying "Unable to find any SDC install file" when I sleect the "install SDC" form the vspher eplugin.

Does the CreateSvmTemplate script do this automatically?

thanks.

June 23rd, 2015 06:00

Here is the correct sequence to deploy ScaleIO on VMware:

1. Use the ScaleIOPluginSetup-1.32-402.1.ps1 script to do the following:

a. Register the ScaleIO plugin

b. Create the SVM templates from the provided OVA

2. Login to VMware vSphere web client, go to SIO plugin -> Install SDC on your ESX hosts (this will preform for you the acceptance level change + install the SDC vib on the ESX hosts) -> Reboot ESX hosts

3. Use the plugin to deploy your SIO system (a deployment wizard where you specify all required info on how to deploy ScaleIO, which components will be on which SVM, and/or ESX host etc..).

Thanks,

Tomer

13 Posts

June 15th, 2015 19:00

hi, sorry to answer my own question. looking at some of the recent documentation; eg;

http://www.emc.com/collateral/technical-documentation/scaleio-quick-start-guide-for-vmware.pdf

The creation of the template now appears to be part of the main powershell script;

ScaleIOPluginSetup-1.32-402.1.ps1

I think the confusion arose as I was looking at documentation for previous releases which appears to have separate scripts.

Quick question - why is the community forum locked down only to registered users (unregistered/not logged on users should at-least be able to view the posts shouldn't they)? Why are new forum posts moderated or is it just the first post from a poster?

thanks.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 17th, 2015 15:00

Hi ashleywatson - By the very definition of a community, its a place where people can safely interact on specific topics of interest. We want to know who is interested in what we have to say and in turn keep them posted on the latest & greatest content that we have to offer! Hence the gated part. Anybody who is registered to the community is free to post questions and isn't really moderated. I am wondering if there was a glitch with the site because of which this happened. Otherwise, all our community members are free to pose questions whenever they want! Please let us know if you experience any such issues in the future. We are happy to help!

Regards,

Megha.

13 Posts

June 18th, 2015 21:00

HI Megha, I'm afraid I have to disagree with regards to a community.

For a community to flourish information sharing is a requirement - if you look at many of the examples of products in the disruptive space their communities are accessible as read-only to all without logging on/registering- this helps with google crawls and helps to raise visibility and use on their products. e.g. Veeam/ VyOS etc.

Its pretty hard to encourage collaboration when there can be a 24 hour delay or more after posting a comment/update before it is released onto the website.

thanks

Ashley

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 19th, 2015 11:00

Hi Ashley - I appreciate the feedback and will make sure to relay this to the broader team to see if we can make further changes to the current set up.

Please do keep sharing such feedback.

Regards,

Megha.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

September 18th, 2015 01:00

Hi,

we have a customer doing a PoC and they did all as described but they are missing OVM template. Any ideas?

Here is the output of the ps1 script and screenshot of the vmware installation wizzard while trying to deploy SVM.

Choose mode:

1 - Register ScaleIO plug-in

2 - Unregister ScaleIO plug-in

3 - Create SVM template

4 - Exit the script

: 3

Disconnecting from the vCenter vcd.vmtest.local...

Welcome to ScaleIO Plugin Create SVM Template Utility

Enter a datacenter name: TEST

Datacenter is: TEST

Enter the path of the SVM's OVA: /IOScaler/vm.ova

OVA_full_path is: /IOScaler/vm.ova

Enter a list of datastores (max 8), each need to have at least 10GB of free capa

city, on which the templates will be created. To finish, enter a blank datastore

:

Datastores - 1 : esxtest

Datastores - 2 :

datastores: esxtest

Connecting to vCenter vcd.vmtest.local...

Successfully connected to vCenter vcd.vmtest.local

Creating folder EMC ScaleIO (TEST)

The folder EMC ScaleIO (TEST) was successfully created

Creating Temp SVM from the provided ova on host esxtest.vmtest.local...

Temp SVM was successfully created

OVA version is: /IOScaler/vm

Creating template EMC ScaleIO SVM Template (v/IOScaler/vm) 1 from the temporary

SVM on host esxtest.vmtest.local and datastore esxtest

The template EMC ScaleIO SVM Template (v/IOScaler/vm) 1 was successfully created

Deleting temporary SVM...

Temporary SVM was successfully deleted

Choose mode:

1 - Register ScaleIO plug-in

2 - Unregister ScaleIO plug-in

3 - Create SVM template

4 - Exit the script

: 4

Disconnecting from the vCenter vcd.vmtest.local...

scaleio_vmware_wizard.jpg.jpeg

September 20th, 2015 23:00

1. This does not look like ScaleIO OVA: ScaleIOVM_1.32.XXX.X.ova - why?

2. Did they start working on the deployment wizard and then created the SVM template? if that is the case, the deployment wizard must be ran again from the start.

3. Is the DC + datastore: esxtest accessible for the ESX servers? Is it a local DS? they need to supply LOCAL DS for each ESX host...

4. Is the Path to the OVA accessible for the Virgo server and the VC?

5. Using vSphere client, can they see the created template properly?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

September 21st, 2015 09:00

Hi,

Thanks for reply but I managed to fix the issue. Customer created a link to the file and tried to use that link. Once they used full path everything worked as expected.

Thanks,

Niko

4 Posts

April 18th, 2017 11:00

Hello,

I have the same issue, i used full paths, how i can do to get the list of the svm templates? i get a blank screen.

thanks

April 19th, 2017 06:00

Can you check the following:-

Using vSphere client, can they see the created template properly?
Is the Path to the OVA accessible for the Virgo server and the VC?

4 Posts

April 19th, 2017 13:00

Hello, Thanks for your help.

Yes i can see in my case Three templates, because i deployed the ova to three datastores. And yes i can access from the web console or vcenter console the datastores (local) with the template images. the issue is when i need to choose the ova template from the "scaleio deployment" i just see a blank dropdown list. I need to a permission or something?

thanks

73 Posts

April 20th, 2017 10:00

Hi,

For the blank drop down list issue, the only time I have seen this in 3 scenarios:

1. The template was added in the middle of the plugin install. The plugin does not automatically refresh in this scenario. Stop and begin the install fresh.

2. The name of the template and folder it exists in do not match what the plugin is looking for. The folder name will be "EMC ScaleIO (Datacenter_Name)", where Datacenter_Name is the name of your datacenter. The name of the template underneath that folder will be "EMC ScaleIO SVM Template (v2.0.13000.211) 1". This is for the 2.0.1.3 template. Also, the notes section for the template must have "2.0.13000.211". These numbers will change with different versions of the template, of course.

3. Not running the install as administrator level user, or administrator itself. If you can, use the actual administrator user.

Check the above and see if any of this matches.

4 Posts

April 24th, 2017 09:00

Hello RickH,

Thanks for your suggestions, answering i can answer the following.

1 .I follow all the steps in order, i installed the plugin first, then i uploaded the template using the powercli console, with the provided script.

2. The template for me was created with "EMC ScaleIO c:\Users\path\to\the\ova\file" looks like this could be the issue here, the name of the templates for me had the entire path to the ova file i used when uploaded it. How can i do to avoid the creation of the Full path of the ova file i uploaded?

3. I'm using administrator for all tasks, so i dont think this is the issue here.

Please let me know if the topic 2 could be the issue, and how i can do to upload the ova with the correct name.

Thanks

73 Posts

April 25th, 2017 09:00

Go ahead and rename the template itself using the name I gave above. If you have a different version, let me know and I can tell you what the name of the template should be. Also verify the folder it resides under. Make sure it follows the proper naming convention mentioned above as well.

As for why it was named with the path from the OVA itself, we'd have to see what variables were passed to the script when the OVA was uploaded.

4 Posts

April 27th, 2017 12:00

Hello, i tried to rename one of the templates but still same issue, the version im installing or the package name is: ScaleIO_2.0.1.3_Complete_VMware_SW_Download, so i guess is the version 2.0.1.3. I think it is the latest version available. Any other thing i can do to make it work? i renamed one of the three templates and removed the path on the name that says c:\Users\dparedes\Desktop.............

thanks for your help.

No Events found!