Start a Conversation

Unsolved

15 Posts

November 5th, 2018 01:00

Dual ESRS/VE Centralized Gateway setup

Hi

We are planning to deploy the ESRS/VE setup.  In the same site we have unity & powermax arrays and planning to have 2 different VM dedicated for ESRS centralized setup.  So this is called as Dual ESRS HA ?

So my understanding is for ESRS/VE we will be getting a OVA/OVF appliance. On first VM, I will have to import this OVA/OVF file and configure and supply the parameters like IP Addr, DNS, Gateway IP and will need to do the complete ESRS configuration, provisioning etc. Once this is done all the sites and arrays of the customer will be visible in First instance of VM - First ESRS.

For 2nd VM - 2nd ESRS - Do I need to repeat the same entire process that i did or I need to do until ESRS services gets started on the VM and can I skip the ESRS configuration and provisioning part fully ?  ---> as this is 2nd instance of ESRS.

I read somewhere that while deploying 2nd instance of ESRS, that instance should not be managing any devices at all.  In this scenario,  how the site id's and arrays will be pulled or visible in to 2nd instance of ESRS -   Will the ESRS Backend infra server that belongs to EMC will do the synchronization of all assets from 1st VM instance to 2nd VM instance ?  Please assist

26 Posts

November 5th, 2018 01:00

You will need to go through full configuration on the 2nd ESRS, till you reach the Setup Complete page. An EMC employee (open a SR with support or ask your local CE) can then build a cluster from the first ESRS and add the second ESRS. The second will then download all managed devices from the backend. Cluster means, they share the devices they are managing and site IDs they are associated with. There are no shared resources like a witness share This is synced through the backend, so no need for the two VMs to be able to talk to each other. The VMs can have different settings for proxy, mailserver etc. to allow to avoid SPOFs.

15 Posts

November 10th, 2018 20:00

Hi Frank

Thank you for the reply.  If we need to configure everything until the setup complete page then in that case will we get a 2nd ESRS Serial # no also again in addition to getting 1st ESRS Serial # ?  so does it mean a customer will have 2 ESRS serial # just because they have a dual HA configuration ?

26 Posts

November 12th, 2018 00:00

This is correct, every ESRS instance will have its own serial number by which it can be identified. In HA configuration we build a cluster from the backend side. Both ESRS will communicate to the same devices, both can take requests for remote support sessions.

No Events found!