Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 29th, 2017 13:00

ESRS gateway fails to notify when devices go away

Hello.  We had a situation recently (due to a network change) that several switch and VNX devices that are monitored by ESRS v3 gateways were disconnected from the gateway.  Looking in the gateway, the device's status did show as missing, but neither, ESRS or policy manager, or EMC support for that matter, notified us that they had disappeared.  I would have expected something to let us know when the devices are no longer monitored.    Has anyone else seen this?  Is that how it is suppose to work?  If so, has anyone come up with way to have ESRS send an email / alert when this occurs ?  Thanks for the help.  Dennis

81 Posts

April 20th, 2017 01:00

In the past, both Gateway Missing and Device Missing were notified by creating SR(Service Request).  It has been changed lately that if DELL EMC cannot communicate with Gateway, then automatic email would be sent out to Primary/Secondary contacts instead of creating SR.  There is no email/SR notification for Device Missing, however.

25 Posts

April 20th, 2017 06:00

Thank you for the information.

157 Posts

April 21st, 2017 08:00

Since we don't get any emails for devices going offline it appears this functionality is broken somewhere.

25 Posts

April 21st, 2017 09:00

Hello again.  Just so I'm sure I understand the answer, which part of the manual excerpt below are you saying is no longer taking place, the notification of EMC support when a device no longer responds to the heartbeat, or the the creation of the SR and notification of the customer?  I'm trying to continue / replicate the functionality and it would help to know.  Thanks. 

docu55298_EMC-Secure-Remote-Services-Release-3.06-Technical-Description - Page 19

Heartbeat to EMC devices managed by the ESRS Virtual Edition

Once every 60 minutes, the ESRS Virtual Edition determines if each managed deviceis available for service on the primary support applications. It does this by making a socket connection to the device on one or more of the primary support application ports and verifying that the service application(s) are responding. The information is recorded by the ESRS Virtual Edition. If a change in status is detected, the ESRS Virtual Edition notifies EMC over the next heartbeat.  The heartbeat is a continuous service. EMC monitors the values sent and may automatically trigger service requests if the ESRS Virtual Edition fails to send heartbeats or if the values contained in a heartbeat exceed certain limits.

No Events found!