Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 28th, 2009 23:00

Dynamic Model New Instrumentation Class

Hello All.

I have to create new instrumentation class for monitor CPU of my device, that currently not supported by EMC SMarts (not cretified).

All that i need to do :

1) Create instrumentation class with name CPU_Performance_xxx, name must be in this format like in CiscoSwitch - CPU_Performance_CiscoSwitch

2) In oid2type_xxx.conf need to set in Instrumentations - CPU/MEM = xxx : DeviceID when device id is CPU identificator.

3) Need to create new event in model, but reaaly don't know when to create it in Instrumentation class or in simple class, for example DSLSwitch class that i created.

4) Subscribe to this class in SAM or Generic Console.

So, as I can see in others vendor instrumentation classes, for example like Cisco - Fan_Fault_CiscoEnvMon class,  instrumentation class has number of fields:

Status, CiscoEnvMonFanState, etc ….

So a question is,

I should create event and operate SNMP data in Instrumentation class then, set current status in Status field and after this propagate Status field from instrumentation class  to Simple Class, for example Fan?

OR

I should propagate all data to Simple class and define events and Data operate in Simple class ???

What is a right way to solve this issue ?

P.s

When can i see example of Full Instrumentation class creation?

3 Posts

August 21st, 2009 04:00

The generally preferred approach is to have one class with represents your managed object and contains all of the attributes, problems, and symptoms, and another class, the instrumentation class, which holds the data. The instrumentation class Instruments the managed object class.  This approach gives you the ability to decide at runtime where the data will come from.  So you might have one instrumentation class which uses only stored attributes (meaning the data will be pushed in by a script), and another instrumentation class using polled attributes, or several different instrumentation classes using polled attributes where each instrumentation class uses a different MIB or maybe even a different accessor.
No Events found!