Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

E

February 17th, 2003 19:00

Turning off System Restore?

Hi,
I had read somewhere in this Forum sometime ago that someone
said that they turn off the System Restore then turn it back on.....The reason is to get rid of the old Files and get more space on their HD....Is this a good idea?

Thanks for any opinions.....

2 Intern

• 

18.8K Posts

February 17th, 2003 21:00

EdnaM,

In the course of normal operation, the only reason to do this is if there is a virus which may be resident in your restore folder. If you are attempting to conserve hard disk space and wish to reduce the size of your store folder, you would remove the restore folder then recreate it in a smaller size, but removing it as a part of normal maintenance is not required.

February 17th, 2003 23:00

Just so you're aware, system restore will restore your system to a time it was operating correctly. To the best of my knowledge, it doesn't save any of your data. I found the hdd space it took up wasn't worth it.

LC

653 Posts

February 17th, 2003 23:00

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/sr/sr/monitored_file_extensions.asp

To configure how much space System Restore uses, click Start, Settings, Control Panel, System, Performance, File System.
Move the slider to the left to reduce the disk space used by system restore. I set mine to 400-800 megs.

83 Posts

February 18th, 2003 09:00

i did this very same thing after seeing it as a tip on Computer Shopper magazine and it worked for me.. it got rid of about 2gigs of hard drive space.. I also told my friend to do it on his pc and same result..

As long as your pc is currently working fine you should have no problem.. just remember to turn it back on..

No Events found!