Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 11th, 2016 13:00

SWFE-E-EGETNEXT-While getting next of OID .1.3.6.1.2.1.47.1.1.1.1.2.300901127, SNMP-EPARSER-Mangled or incorrect packet; parsing aborted and data discarded; in file "/work/redcurrent/DMT-9.4.1.0/13/smarts/snmp/lib/SNMP_Parser.c" at line 1294

Hi All,

We have been facing the discovery error issues repeatedly with many devices.

I have gone through all the Knowledge base articles from EMC but didn't find the exact appropriate solution.

Would be grateful if any one help me out in this.

August 30th, 2016 12:00

Analysis from the Packet Capture.

The OID with the issue “1.3.6.1.2.1.47.1.1.1.1.2.300901122” belongs to the Cisco Entity MIB. As cross verified in the Domain logs the error occurs when Smarts Probes this Entity MIB.

Détails

OID

1. 1.3.6.1.2.1.47.1.1.1.1.2

Module

ENTITY-MIB (CISCO)

Nom

entPhysicalDescr

Access

readonly

Status

current

Description

A textual description of physical entity. This object should contain a string that identifies the manufacturer's name for the physical entity, and should be set to a distinct value for each version or model of the physical entity.

Syntax

SnmpAdminString (SNMP-FRAMEWORK-MIB)

As seen from the response form the device, it is evidently clear that the device is responding 38 bytes of data over the packet. This violates the RFC Standard as the OctetString size should be 0-255 bits i.e. ~32 bytes.
Please find the details below:

SNMP-FRAMEWORK-MIB::SnmpAdminString ::= TEXTUAL-CONVENTION

DISPLAY-HINT "255t"

STATUS       current

DESCRIPTION "An octet string containing administrative

information, preferably in human-readable form.

.... represented using the ISO/IEC

IS 10646-1 character set, encoded as an octet

string using the UTF-8 transformation format

described in [RFC2279]....."

SYNTAX       OCTET STRING (SIZE (0..255))

Row -174

This is the issue with the Device responding incorrect packet, and should be handled by the device vendor.

Kindly reach out to the device vendor for the resolution of the issue.

Cisco will give the correct packet capture entry and customer had to add the same to device and delete and add the device which can resolve the error.

Regards,

Bhanu Chandra

53 Posts

May 23rd, 2016 11:00

Based on the message- "SNMP-EPARSER-Mangled or incorrect packet", which is occurring due to a parser error resulting from a bad packet.  The means, the wrong information is being returned by the device,   Smarts isn't able to parse the packet any further because it is corrupted or doesn't follow RFC standards.

The issue must be resolved with the vendor.

May 23rd, 2016 12:00

Hi Bruce,

Thanks for your reply.

Can you give me some more info on this .?

8 Posts

June 16th, 2016 01:00

Hi pchand,

Are you also getting unknown user error along with this ?

No Events found!