Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 23rd, 2013 07:00

Unable to connect to INCHARGE-SA manager

Hi,

I have a Smarts 9.2 server installation with Console, ESM, IP, SAM components, but I am not able to connect to INCHARGE-SA manager with EMC Ionix Global Console (it is just not into list to choose), but EMC Smarts Assurance Manager Server service is running.

The same problem exist for all managers coming from SAM component - INCHARGE-MBIM, INCHARGE-IO, TRAP-INCHARGE-OI, but appropriate services are running.

Can some one give me a hint where can I look for the cause? Maybe I just need to change some configuration?

Thanks a lot for your help,

Hasmik

August 26th, 2013 09:00

Hello Hasmik,

That error does not look like it relates to credentials.  I believe credential errors are different.  But it is very easy to check if it is a credential problem.  You can change the credentials of your Smarts deployment.

In you windows environment right click the command window and select "Run As Administrator".  Once you are in the command window navigate to C:\InCharge\IP\smarts\bin and run the command: sm_edit C:\InCharge\IP\smarts\local\conf\serverConnect.conf

You have to use the sm_edit program as this file is encrypted by the Smarts software and using notepad or word/wordpad to open it directly will not work and could corrupt the file.  When you use the sm_edit command it will likely open wordpad or notepad itself, this is to be expected and where you will make the changes you need to.

In this file you should see the following lines:

• : : :All
  • : :Nonsecure:All
  • *:BrokerPing: :Ping
  • *:admin: :All
  • *:maint: :Monitor
  • *:oper: :Monitor

You are going to change all the to the following values to below to restore the default values for Smarts.  Any lines that do not match up perfectly with the ones below please adjust them to do so (you do not need the bullets in the file, they are used here just to make it easier to read this post).

• : : :All
  • :BrokerNonsecure:Nonsecure:All
  • *:BrokerPing:Ping:Ping
  • *:admin:changeme:All
  • *:maint:maint:Monitor
  • *:oper:oper:Monitor

Once you have made these changes you are going to save the file (it should encrypt on its own once you save it).  Next navigate to C:\InCharge\SAM\smarts\bin and repeat these steps.

This should reset all the passwords back to their default values in Smarts.  The login use name should now be admin and the password should be changeme.

If this does not fix the problem then your issue could be that the Smarts software was not installed as an administrator or use with administrative privileges using "Run As Administrator" and it there for cannot open the ports and communicate, or that there is a firewall of some form blocking the ports from communication.

Please make sure to check that there are no firewalls affecting this host as that should be the fastest problem to check and clear.

Thank you very much for your time.

Cheers,

Sean

8 Posts

August 26th, 2013 06:00

Hi Shahin,

Thank you for your response.

Here are the startup commands for them:

C:\InCharge\SAM\smarts\bin\sm_server.exe "--NTsErViCeNaMe=ic-sam-server" "-n" "INCHARGE-SA" "--config=ics" "--port=0" "--ignore-restore-errors" "--output"

C:\InCharge\IP\smarts\bin\sm_server.exe "--NTsErViCeNaMe=ic-am-pm-server" "--name=INCHARGE-AM-PM" "--port=0" "--config=icf" "--bootstrap=bootstrap-am-pm.conf" "--subscribe=default" "--ignore-restore-errors" "--output"

and I use default broker port(426) while connecting via EMC Smarts Global Console.

I have exactly the same startup commands for Smarts 9.0 and it works properly, but with 9.2 I do not have any manager coming from SAM.

Regards,

Hasmik

27 Posts

Hi Hasmik,

Have you made sure that they are all using same broker port? what is your startup command for the IP vs SAM?

Regards,

-TJ

27 Posts

No problem,

So you can run brcontrol and confirm the SA is up and running?

How about license? are you using Perm or Temp license? what is the path you are using for your license?

Have you looked at your log file? Anything unusual in there?

Regards,

-TJ

8 Posts

August 26th, 2013 07:00

Thank you for your reply Sean,

Here are required file contents:

C:\InCharge\SAM\smarts\local\conf\runcmd_enc.sh

SM_BROKER_DEFAULT=localhost:426

SM_LICENSE=C:\InCharge\smarts.lic

SM_SNMP_BUG_COMPATIBLE=TRUE

SM_INCOMING_PROTOCOL=1

SM_OUTGOING_PROTOCOL=1

SM_DEFHOME=/dev/null

SM_LOCALE=en_US

SM_ENCODING_OUTPUT=UTF-8

SM_FIPS140=FALSE

SM_JAVAHOME=C:\InCharge\SAM\smarts\jre

SM_FIXED=C:\InCharge\SAM\smarts

SM_USE_SAM_CORE=1

SM_LOG_ROLL_SIZE=200M

SM_BACKUP_FILE_LIMIT=5

C:\InCharge\IP\smarts\local\conf\runcmd_enc.sh

SM_BROKER_DEFAULT=localhost:426

SM_LICENSE=C:\InCharge\smarts.lic

SM_SNMP_BUG_COMPATIBLE=TRUE

SM_INCOMING_PROTOCOL=1

SM_OUTGOING_PROTOCOL=1

SM_IP_VERSIONS=v6v4

SM_LOCALE=en_US

SM_ENCODING_OUTPUT=UTF-8

SM_GUI_DISPLAYNAME_CLASSES=CORE_Collection

SM_DEFHOME=/dev/null

SM_FIPS140=FALSE

SM_LOG_ROLL_SIZE=200M

SM_BACKUP_FILE_LIMIT=5

Regards,

Hasmik

Hello Hasmik,

You are starting both these domains on the same host and attempting to assign both of them the port number 0 which will result in both services being assigned a random port.  So if you have any fire wall services running on the windows host or on the network it could be that the ports are being blocked.  You are better off deciding on a consistent set of ports to use.  Once you have selected ports make sure no windows firewall or other firewall is blocking the ports.

Please provide a copy of your \SAM\smarts\local\conf\runcmd_env.sh file and \IP\smarts\local\conf\runcmd_env.sh file so we can see if they are both set correctly.

Thank you.

8 Posts

I have some login problem. In different logs of SAM I see the same message:

August 26, 2013 7:20:54 AM PDT +563ms] t@44328

SVIF-E-ESOCKETREGISTER-While attempting to register the server 'TRAP-INCHARGE-OI' with the broker

SVIF-EBROKER-Cannot connect to DM Broker at 'localhost:426/dmbroker'

SM-ELOGIN-Login to Domain Manager failed; permission denied

8 Posts

In license file I have - "Type:SERVED"

My license file is located under C:\InCharge folder - C:\InCharge\smarts.lic

But it seems I really have registering problem looking at the log files. Take a look at this:

[August 25, 2013 10:34:15 PM PDT +483ms] t@38880

SVIF-E-ESOCKETREGISTER-While attempting to register the server 'INCHARGE-SA' with the broker

SVIF-EBROKER-Cannot connect to DM Broker at 'localhost:426/dmbroker'

SM-ELOGIN-Login to Domain Manager failed; permission denied

[August 25, 2013 10:59:02 PM PDT +436ms] t@38556 InCharge Framework #1

ICF_MSG-*-ICF_SAVESTART-PersistenceManager: save started

[August 25, 2013 10:59:04 PM PDT +561ms] t@38556 InCharge Framework #1

ICF_MSG-*-ICF_SAVEFINISH-PersistenceManager: save finished

[August 25, 2013 11:59:04 PM PDT +561ms] t@38556 InCharge Framework #1

[August 25, 2013 11:59:06 PM PDT +358ms] t@38556 InCharge Framework #1

[August 26, 2013 12:59:06 AM PDT +358ms] t@38556 InCharge Framework #1

[August 26, 2013 12:59:08 AM PDT +217ms] t@38556 InCharge Framework #1

[August 26, 2013 1:59:08 AM PDT +217ms] t@38556 InCharge Framework #1

[August 26, 2013 1:59:10 AM PDT +264ms] t@38556 InCharge Framework #1

Do I need to provide any credentials for registration? If so, then where to provide?

Regards,

Hasmik

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 26th, 2013 22:00

You have a credential problem.  Your log file is telling you that:  SM-ELOGIN-Login to Domain Manager failed; permission denied

What someone probably did was change the Admin password to something else.  Smarts uses that password to authenticate amongst all of the domains.  If you cannot log into any of the domains, then that password is probably either wrong in each of the serverConnect.conf files.

The other problem it could be is to ensure that the name of the file(s) are actually "clientConnect.conf" and "serverConnect.conf".  They should be located in the \SAM\smarts\local\conf directory (replace SAM with IP for the IP server, etc....)

..... BTW, did you notice the Captial "C" in the word "Connect"?  Case matters in this case.

8 Posts

August 27th, 2013 07:00

Thank you very much guys for your help.

I am happy to say that the problem is resolved.

I just copied content of IP's serverConnect.conf, clientConnect.conf and brokerConnect.conf files to SAM's corresponding files.

But still cannot understand where the problem was. When I changed the files to it's default plain values as Sean advised (both in IP and SAM parts), the problem remained the same, but when I copied encrypted passwords from IP to SAM, it worked.

Is it possible that there is something wrong with SAM encryption? But this is not the case probably, because if IP's encrypted passwords work for SAM also, then the same encryption applies for all parts.

Anyway thanks again for your support

8 Posts

August 27th, 2013 08:00

Yes Tom, I used sm_edit command.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 27th, 2013 08:00

It's possible that someone changed the Site Secret, which changes the encyption.  BTW, did you use sm_edit to edit those files?  When you use sm_edit, it will encrypt the passwords for you at the time it closes the file.

tom

7 Posts

February 23rd, 2016 05:00

Can you tell me how one changes a password? I read the instructions two posts above and it tells how to revert everything back to default. What if I just want to change one password (not all of them) can I use sm_edit to change just one of the entries and save it? I tried going thru the GUI (global manager administration console) and there doesn't seem to be any way using it

No Events found!