Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 8th, 2015 18:00

Watch4Net Web Services API Questions

Hey all, first time post and hope someone can shed some light on a couple of questions about the web services

1. The SOAP API named “getObjectData(…)”, which is used to fetch the actual data value of a performance metrics, returns List which in turn contains TimeSerieValue object. This object has the timestamp and the actual data value. So if we are passing multiple metrics to this method, the resultset  is such that we can’t determine the relation of a value with its metric. Must we  specify only one metric per-call to make sense of the resultset? 

1. Same is true for configuration metrics. The SOAP API named “getDistinctPropertyValues(…)”, is used to fetch the configuration details. We can pass multiple metrics to this method as a List of Strings. In turn, EMC SRM returns the values as List of Strings only. Here we have two concerns – a) The returned List doesn’t maintain the order, so we can’t guarantee the order of values returned from the method matches with the order in which the properties were added while making the call  b) If any of the metric from the list has a NULL value, then, that value is excluded from the actual output(string). EMC SRM does not tell us that it found no value for a particular metric in the list. Example: if we are passing 5 metrics to this method. Out of these 5 say 2 metrics has value as NULL. Then the return from the method will have List of Stings containing only 3 values.

We are passing configuration values in following order:

List properties = new ArrayList ();

properties.add("device");

properties.add("ip");

properties.add("model");

properties.add("vendor");

properties.add("serialnb");

properties.add("sstype");

properties.add("devtype");

Call to fetch configuration data:

List values = client.getDistinctPropertyValues(filter, null, properties);

Output of this call:

[USP_V@172.8.55.154, Array, 172.8.55.154, Block, Hitachi, USP_V, 23833]

Notice the return values don't line up with the way they where submitted.

If anyone has any thoughts that would be extremely appreciated.

42 Posts

June 9th, 2015 05:00

Hi,

Couple of questions -

1. What version of SRM are you using?
  2. Could you provide the requests you are using?  You can gray out the device information if that helps...

Thanks,

-Gayatri

June 9th, 2015 07:00

Hi and thank you for the response.

1. We're using version : EMC M&R v6.5u1 - 54340

2. Here's an example request including filters:

String filter = (serialnb == 'APM.....' & device == 'VNX.....') & parttype == 'LUN' & part == 'LOGICAL UNIT NUMBER..';

List properties = [devtype, model, vendor]

List values = DatabaseAccessor.getDistinctPropertyValues(filter, null, startTimeStamp, endTimestamp(), null, null, properties, null);

Where seeing the same behavior for getObjectData also.

I hope this helps and please let me know if I can provide any thing else

June 11th, 2015 07:00

Correction on the version: 3.5.1.0.117

The version I originally reported was from the reporting tool's "about" information, which I believe isn't correct.

No Events found!