Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 3rd, 2010 07:00

Why in a particular domain, I saw 3 partitions created?

Hello,

I would like to know, what in one domain that is in our envoronment I saw 3 differents  partitions?, each one with different devices. Someone could help me to explain this situation please?

18 Posts

September 6th, 2010 17:00

Hello,

A partition is an island of conncected managed devices formed by Smarts IP domain managers for root-cause analysis purposes.  All devices in a partition are connected to at least one other device in the same partition, and none of them connect to any devices outside of the partition.

However, the above only applies to isolated topologies containing 2 or more devices.  Partitions are not created for single un-connected devices.  This is because it is common in large environments for there to be large numbers of apparently isolated single elements (e.g. hosts).

Considering the above, if you are still unsure as to why your current partitions were created, then you should first verify whether or not you have discovered enough devices in Smarts to form complete topologies.  If so, then look further at any devices which are single points of failure between otherwise isolated topologies (the map consoles may be helpful here).  Then, on these devices, check that all the interfaces and ports have been discovered, particularly those which constitute the connectivity between the isolated topologies.

If further investigation is required at this point, then I would recommend raising a service request with EMC support who can assist you in tracing the discovery of your environment and toubleshoot any issues identified in this regard.

Kind Regards,

Louie Cavaliere

EMC Global Support

No Events found!