Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 28th, 2014 08:00

Backing up EMC SourceOne

After numerous attempts to get an answer from support with no luck i figured i would try this forum to see what solution others are using to backup EMC SourceOne.  We have our EMC SourcOne archives located on a EMC Data Domain Device.  We are using EMC Networker for backups.  My goal is to get our EMC SourceOne Archives which are ~1.5TB backed up to Tape once a month.  As most of you know you need to run the provided suspend scripts before backing up SourceOne.  My problem with this is having SourceOne down while doing a traditional backup of our archive location is not acceptable.  What i am currently doing is  1. Suspend scripts 2. Doing a Fast Copy of my archives leveraging the Data Domain. 3. Resuming SourceOne 4. Backing up my Fast Copy to Tape.  This solution gets the job done, and it has very minimal SourceOne downtime.  My issue with this solution is the Amount of time it takes to Backup the Fast Copy version to Tape.  I have been told that because it is a fast copy the data has to be "Re-Hydrated" which caused the write to tape to be very slow.  It Takes around 48 Hours to backup our archives to tape using this method.

This might be the best option i have, but i have not been able to confirm this with EMC.  I have opened a ticket with the 3 teams (SourceOne, DataDomain, and Networker), but haven't had much luck getting them to understand the situation which is upsetting because it is EMC technology across the board.

Is anyone having any luck backing up SourceOne using a different method?

Thanks

272 Posts

February 28th, 2014 09:00

The issue with SourceOne is all the Shared storage locations (Archive, Index & Message Center) and SQL needs to be backed up in a time consistent manner while being in a read-only state.

This is true of any distributed architecture environment.

This is similar to what you would do with SAN replication using a Consistency group and Snapshot.

Is you DD replicated or stand-alone?

4 Posts

February 28th, 2014 10:00

Thanks for you reply.

Our DD is replicated to a Secondary Data Domain, and i would backup from that Secondary DD, but unfortunately we do not have a tape library in this location.

272 Posts

February 28th, 2014 10:00

Exactly what I was going to suggest, backup the replica.

There really isn't another viable solution that I can think of for your environment.

You may also want to consider not do a full backup but a differential on your tape backups.

For a recover you would only need the full and the latest differential.

You can determine how often you would actually need a full by watching the size of the differential over time.

Potentially it could be 6 mo. or longer between full backups.

No Events found!