Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 5th, 2018 16:00

Best practice question: How are you dealing with old shortcuts in mailboxes?

Hi all,

Shortcuts of course reduce the size of a mailboxes but they still use some space, and eventually the quota is met, so I was wondering what SourceOne Administrators are doing when this happens. The options I can think of are:

1. Raising mailboxes quota as needed, but this is not always possible and the new quota will be met eventually. Maybe combining this with next option (2)  could work.

2. Educating users to delete old unnecessary email. This sounds as a big challenge to me.

3. Running delete activity and get rid of old emails on mailboxes and let the users search for their archived emails. Anyway, the users would need to be educated to search and retrieve old archives emails whose shortcut was deleted.

I guess the third one is the natural way to go but... How are SourceOne administrators dealing with this? I´m looking for a best practice.

I´d appreciate your comments.

600 Posts

September 9th, 2018 17:00

Greetings,

As number of years a user will continue to stay with organisation grows, their mailbox size will grow as well. For an example I am with current organisation for close to 13 years and my mailbox is close to 7GB after shortcutting and emails older than 6 years are cleaned up from my mailbox by IT though.

I can share what I have seen, basically you covered the points already.

1. Inform users how large number of items in their mailbox would impact performance of Outlook.

2. Educate users to export to PST (if your organisation allows).

3. You already have shortcutting in place yet it cannot keep on bring the size of mailbox down if number of items in mailbox continue to grow (like my mailbox).

4. Inform users couple of months beforehand that emails other than __ years will be deleted from their mailbox. You may have to send reminders few times.

5. Finally if you see mailboxes still large then as you mentioned run delete activity to get rid of old email as per your business policy requirements and suggest users to use search site.

Best regards,
Rajan Katwal

No Events found!