Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 9th, 2007 02:00

Edited attachment not archived

Hello,

While testing EmailXtender I ran into this issue.

After editing and saving an attachment (in this case, a word document). the attachment has changed. However, when this messaged is archived (and shortcutted) the message is considered a duplicate (because of journaling?), so the change is not being archived.

How can I resolve this?

Kind regards,

Duncan

129 Posts

August 12th, 2007 16:00

Admin Guide - EmailXtract chapter on page 11-55
"To process both original and modified messages, you must run two tasks - one based on the received date and the other based on the modified date."
Hope this helps.
Based on your previous question, I assume we are talking about Exchange environment.
Regards,
Krisztian

Message was edited by:
Krisztian Szekely

46 Posts

August 14th, 2007 04:00

Thanks Krisztian,

I hadn't found that in the manual yet, but did find the option in the archive dialog on the Date Settings tab.

Later this week I will test this feature, and let you know.

Kind regards,

Duncan

204 Posts

August 17th, 2007 07:00

Hi Duncan,

I found the passage in the AdminGuide.pdf. Did this work for you? Which version of EX are you running?

Thanks,
Jochen.

46 Posts

August 21st, 2007 00:00

Jochen,

It doesn't seem to work. Here's what I've tested:

I have a mailbox with archived and shorcutted messages. I open one message with a word document attached. I edit the document (this would change the date modified). When closing the document I save the changes. When closing the message I confirm to save the changes.

Then I start a archive job and a shortcut job based on the modified date. After completing both jobs I open the document again, but my changes are not in there.

Did I go wrong somewhere?

Kind regards,

Duncan

204 Posts

August 21st, 2007 00:00

Hi Duncan,

same with me: I tried it with Ex4.8.266 and Ex4.81. In both environments it didn't work for me. I hoped this would resolve my problem: we archive the messages by Exchange journaling and later the users set their categories, etc. Those settings are lost after people retrieve the emails from the archive again. The EmailXtract archive tasks defines them as "dublicates". So shortcutting doesn't help.

In the mailbox, I can see the date modified was actually changed.

Not sure, might want to get EMC in if this has to be activated somehow. :-|

Regards, Jochen.

204 Posts

August 21st, 2007 01:00

Hi Duncan,

yeah, we had the problem but couldn't help the users so far (had other issues at hand). I would be interested in the outcome, so would be great if you could drop a line to the resolution! ;-)

Thanks,
Jochen.

46 Posts

August 21st, 2007 01:00

Hi Jochen,

Thanks for your fast reply.

We use EX 4.81.409 (SP1) in our environment. We're still in the test phase, but want to start a pilot (with just a few users) in a few weeks.

I think I'll open a support call for this issue, because I think we might run into this problem during the pilot.

Thanks again.

Regards,

Duncan

46 Posts

August 24th, 2007 03:00

Hello Jochen,

Today I got a reply from the firm who provides us EX support. They have contacted an EMC engineer, who said that it isn't possible to archive modified messages/attachments.

Don't know why thee is an option for archiving on 'date modified' then...

Bye

Duncan

204 Posts

August 24th, 2007 04:00

Hi Duncan,

the same... was too busy to reply until now. While busy with another support case this week, I asked the same and got the same answer. There is apparently an enhancement request (in my case for outlook attributes).

The technician couldn't tell me, which part of the object need to change that this setting would actually work. So I am wondering as well.

Thanks and keep well,
Jochen.

27 Posts

August 24th, 2007 04:00

Hi Jochen, hi Duncan,

as discussed in another thread we have a similar problem. We are using outlook categories to organize items. But EX cannot handle outlook categories. As we have seen in test we made some weeks ago with items archived by journaling and added categories afterwards, items are not archived again with the changed category attribute. So we raised a RFE for this enhancement (maybe it is this enhancement request) and we hope that categories are supported in future releases. We also wish, that category information is part of the fulltext index.

Best regards,

Guido
No Events found!