Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 7th, 2011 04:00

EmailXtender Plug-in direct retrieval rather than Emailxtender server perfroming the retrieval

Hi

My customer has made a major mistake. They have migrated to Exchange 2010 and refused to address the shortcutted emails in user mailboxes. There original plan was to insist there users to search for emails through the search plug-in - However this has backfired on them and now have a very dissatisfied user base. 

The Setup...

Exchange Server          2010

Outlook Full Client        2003

EmailXtender                4.81.564

EmailXtender Plug-in   4.70.477

They are no longer shortcutting emails, but they need to be able to retrieve historic shortcutted emails from with their Outlook client. Obviously we all know that they should have either, restored the shortcuts before migration or migrate to sourceone; however they decided to take no action at all (against everyone’s advice).

They are looking at me to get them out of this mess. I have already set their expectations that they are unlikely to find a confortable solution however if there is anything that can be done we would certainly like to pursue it.

I have notice that if I copy a shortcutted message from a mailbox to a PST, then the plug-in retrieves it successfully. So can only assume that the plugin is aware that the item is not within the mailbox, so cannot rely on the EmailXtender server to place the message back into the user’s mailbox on the server, and so uses the plugin to retrieve directly. Also I have notice that once you have done this, then all subsequent retrievals are then successful from within the users mailbox (until outlook is closed that is).

Is there a way to make this retrieval process permanent? or is there another way to configure the solution to allow the plug-in to do all the shortcut retrieval work (without needing the EmailXtender server to place the messages back to the mail server)

I hope I have made sense here?  - Any help would be appreciated

Rikki

600 Posts

September 7th, 2011 05:00

Hi Rikki,

First of all Exchange 2010 is not supported by EmailXtender. Secondly customer might be looking for Outlook 2010 support soon (if MS decided to stop supporting outlook 2003) which will not be supported by EX. The version of the client you mentioned (4.7.*) is not supported any more either.

Last time I checked with engineering team they didn’t want EmailXtract to run against Exchange 2010.

Now coming to the solution bit:

As you mentioned they didn’t migrate to SourceOne. EX can co-exist (in read only mode) with SourceOne . Introduce SourceOne to the environment. Customer can work with EMC account team to get licenses converted to SourceOne (without charge). You can add EX as the connection in the SourceOne. Then you can use SourceOne offline Access to retrieve emails from EmailXtender (and cache locally on client machine if you like). SourceOne servers will work as front end for all the data that is archived into EX. EX server will need to be upgraded as well because the version that customer is running is not supported with latest version of SourceOne.

For more information I would suggest talking to the account team who would be able to direct in the right direction.

Thanks,

Rajan

9 Posts

September 7th, 2011 06:00

Thanks for the fast response Rajan

I thought this was going to be the only option. I will discuss with the customer.

600 Posts

September 7th, 2011 16:00

If your would believe that question has been answered please mark question as answered.

Thanks,

Rajan

No Events found!