Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 7th, 2013 10:00

Indexing DiskXtender with SourceOne?

I'm about to rollout SourceOne to index data subbed in our DiskXtender environment. Looking through the install/admin guide I see S1 requires DX be configured in full backup mode. We are currently set to fast (backup stubs only). What full means, is that the stub and all the content will be backed up which isn't going to work for us. The servers already take several days to backup due to the number of files on them. If I enable full backup mode for S1 to do its work, we have a backup situation that isn't feasible.

Has anybody used S1 to index DX with a large number of files (> 10m)? Better yet, has anybody got S1 to index DX without the full backup requirement?

Thanks,

Greg

600 Posts

August 7th, 2013 20:00

Hi Greg,

Are you planning to perform this operation using SourceOne Kazeon or SourceOne for Files ?

Can you please provide more details on the documentation that is being referred (title, version etc.)? Depending upon the information, we will try to find information for you.

Thanks,

Rajan

10 Posts

August 8th, 2013 06:00

Rajan,

I will be using SourceOne for Files. The document I'm referencing is SourceOne for File Systems 6.8 Administration (P/N 300-014-258 REV01). The page number is 29 (Configuring file archiving devices for in-place indexing).

Several statements are made throughout the document that leads me to believe that I either have to have a large archive area to pull my data into an index or more backup capacity. In either scenario, I have to buy storage to store the content a second time. I get that the indexes will take up space, but why does Sourceone require me to copy the content into another store for indexing or require full backup mode on my DiskXtender server?

Thanks,

Greg

October 16th, 2014 12:00

We own both and may do what you are thinking about.  EMC services set them both up here.

SourceOne for files is a separate product and while it can provide a similar function by shortcutting/retention, it was not developed from DiskXtender.  DiskXtender's repository resembles the source, where SourceOne's repository appears as .emx files in its own folder structure.

272 Posts

October 16th, 2014 13:00

SourceOne for Files can Index a File Repository that is stubbed with DiskXtender.

No Events found!