Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 6th, 2012 08:00

SourceOne and Windows 8

Two part question here:

Is it possible to install source one on windows 8, by bypassing the OS check so that I avoid the msg: This is not a supported operating system version or service pack.?

If this not a function I can bypass, can I be put on the beta test list and try out a windows 8 offline client?

Thanks,

Charlie

29 Posts

November 21st, 2012 11:00

i just posted this in another thread here.  but i got it working.. 

took a little tweaking, but 20 minutes to research and complete this was no where the amount of time needed on waiting for EMC

Used the following sites:

(1) http://www.technipages.com/download-orca-msi-editor.html

(2) http://clifgriffin.com/2008/10/31/installing-an-msi-in-compatibility-mode-orca-hack/

- Run the .exe installer.

- While it's open, go to your temp directory and grab the .msi file for Source One.  Copy it to C:\ (or where ever you would like)

- Install ORCA MSI Editor from the first link above.

instructions are then at link (2) above, or just follow below:

- right click the EMC .msi file and 'Edit with ORCA'

- on the left side click 'InstallExecuteSequence' and drop the row LaunchConditions and EX_Val_Configuration

- on the left side click 'InstallUISequence' and drop the row LaunchConditions and EX_Val_Configuration

- file save

- file exit

- run the "new" .msi installer.

- afterwards, i just ran the .exe and did a repair on the installation and now everything works great !!

Hello Windows 8 and EMC Source One !

13 Posts

August 8th, 2012 20:00

It doesn't even start to install sure to the OS compatibility check.

-cc

8 Posts

August 8th, 2012 20:00

There must be some way to by pass this ? it should work with windows 8 it seems like everything else I use has worked with no issues.

Mark

600 Posts

August 8th, 2012 21:00

Greetings,

If I am not wrong Windows 8 was only released for manufacturing. GA release is expected to go out on 26th October 2012. Currently Windows 8 is not in the SourceOne compatibility list. Till it goes to GA and then gets added to compatibility guide by EMC, it is not officially supported by EMC.

To find out where EMC stands in terms of Windows 8 support I would request you to open Service Request with EMC SourceOne support. You can also enquire about any early adoption plans for testing and if there is something then register your interest.

Regards,

Rajan

8 Posts

August 8th, 2012 21:00

I know,

There has got to be some switch to force the install no matter what but I can’t find it, I have looks for weeks, I have to use my webmail for archive and that sucks. I don’t know why emc is not answering this question since it will be available for businesses a week from Thrusday and I have people that have been waiting along time for tablets win8 ones.

Mark

13 Posts

August 17th, 2012 08:00

I took your advice and opened an SR for this.  Hopefully I'll get to beta test the Win8 offline agent. 

I'll keep this thread updated with my progress.

13 Posts

August 21st, 2012 09:00

For beta testing, they really didn't want to allow me to choose what I tested.  It appeared to be more of a 'are you willing to test whatever comes down the pipe.'  Soooo...I opted out.  I really just want the Win8 offline access client.

If anyone finds a solution, please let me know!

Thanks,

Charlie

197 Posts

September 5th, 2012 07:00

This may be a reach, but have you tried running the installer in compatibility mode?  I've seen that work with other installers that do OS checks.  Right-click the .exe, go to Properties, go to the Compatibility tab, then use that first dropdown.

8 Posts

September 10th, 2012 08:00

This is kind of nuts I really want my staff to start using win8 and it works with all are software but the EMC sourceone

and I'm sure it will work its just the software views the install base as win 8 and will not continue ...

I have tried everything to install this software .

nuts..

13 Posts

September 10th, 2012 09:00

Open a ticket with support...Maybe you can get further than I did.

--Charlie

8 Posts

September 11th, 2012 09:00

I guess I can try that, I just hate when software companies say its not going to be released until Oct 26th when in fact

I know that is for consumers and Best Buy not businesses and RTM they must of had a version in the Dev stages .

but as for releases we got this a month ago..So what consumer is going to be using sourceone..

Mark

10 Posts

October 25th, 2012 04:00

i've the same problem. I looking also for version running on w8. other better, an installable version of it, because the version would run on it. If you upgrade your OS, the software run.

But my second problem is, that we want use office 2013, because they have some new and nice features. I've done a request by the support of EMC

The answer is:

"

We have investigated your request to have Windows 8/ Office 2013 supported by SourceOne but unfortunately this is currently not on Product Management’s roadmap. We are unable to provide an ETA as to when this will be supported.

"

Ok, Office 2013 is only available since today, but windows is for Business Accoutns available since beginn of August.

How long they will wait until they have a version which is running on actuall systems? Like the same time as with implement the compatibility to IE9, newer Version of Chrome and Firefox? I think i've waited near one year!

8 Posts

October 29th, 2012 06:00

I don't understand ? Not on the road map?

so anyone that wants to upgrade to office 2013 or windows 8 can't becasue of one software company what will not support it ?

THis does not make sence..

600 Posts

October 29th, 2012 14:00

Greetings,

I am not sure why someone would have said that Windows 8 is not on the roadmap. Following is the official statement for any third party software qualification.

“SourceOne Engineering attempts to qualify new versions of third party products noted in the SourceOne Compatibility Guide within 6 months of the products General Availability release date. For products outside of the 6 month window please feel free to contact your account manager, or EMC Technical Support, to obtain updated guidance on the qualification from the SourceOne Product Team.”

For any third party software that is not in SourceOne Messaging Compatibility guide an RFE (request for enhancement) can be submitted, if an RFE will already exist your site can be attached to it.

Thanks,

Rajan

10 Posts

October 30th, 2012 00:00

Rajan Katwal schrieb:

Greetings,

I am not sure why someone would have said that Windows 8 is not on the roadmap. Following is the official statement for any third party software qualification.

“SourceOne Engineering attempts to qualify new versions of third party products noted in the SourceOne Compatibility Guide within 6 months of the products General Availability release date.  For products outside of the 6 month window please feel free to contact your account manager, or EMC Technical Support, to obtain updated guidance on the qualification from the SourceOne Product Team.”

Thanks,

Rajan

My Information cames from EMC directly. This was the answer to the question at which date i can expect the release of an compatible version.

Your text is also a little funny, Why EMC is Waiting until GA availability? Business Customer normaly has Software Assurance and are able to download the Software earlier. I think better choise would be 6 Month after SA Availability.

And last time, i think it was lot more than 6 Month after new several new Browser was launched. And in this particular case it was a special problem. If you tried to connect to the SourceOne Archive from outside on a private computer, you wasn't able because you had the newer version of browser installed.

No Events found!