Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 18th, 2018 13:00

Upgrade SourceOne 6.8 to 7.2

Hello,

We are currently running SourceOne Email Management v 6.8 (no service packs) and would like to upgrade to the latest and greatest - 7.2 sp6.  I am seeing mixed things regarding an upgrade path - I was initially told by EMC that I need to upgrade to v6.8 sp4, then v7.0, then v7.2 sp6.  However, the release notes for v7.1 say you can upgrade from v6.8 sp1 (I can't find the release notes for v7.2).

I have also been reading thru the v7.1 install guide and do not see any mention of upgrading from v6.8.  Any special requirements or procedures?  Also, wondering about licensing - do I need to acquire a new license key/file?  (not a problem, we do have support).

Can anyone please offer any insight?

Thank you.

600 Posts

May 30th, 2018 20:00

Greetings,

Sorry for delayed reply.

What support team mentioned is right. You need to perform upgrade in 2 steps. First from 6.8.0 to 7.0.* code line and then from 7.0.* to 7.2.SP2 I believe and then 7.2.SP6 (then HF2).

There was change to the documentation where upgrade steps were moved to SourceOne Email Management Installation Guide. There is chapter in the guide called "Updating from a previous release of SourceOne" which has all the steps.

Following was found in the earlier release notes:

7.2 SP2 release notes stated:

EMC supports updating to EMC SourceOne Email Management 7.2 SP2 from the following versions:

• 7.0.x (and any hotfix version)
  • 7.1.x (and any hotfix version)
  • 7.2 (and any hotfix version)

BUT 7.2 SP3, SP4 and SP5 ’s release notes stated:

EMC supports updating to EMC SourceOne Email Management 7.2 SP3 from the following versions:

• 7.2.x, including any hotfix version
  • 7.1.x, including any hotfix version

Basically what happened was that somewhere in 2014 support for 7.0 version ended as a result engineering may not have tested upgrades from versions that are not supported (although upgrades may work but just not tested scenario so be cautious).

There is another change that might impact you which is version of SQL server supported. This jump in steps is meant to help you there as well because earlier versions supported SQL 2005 and version 7.* needs SQL 2008 or above (check compatibility guide). If you are impacted, you might want to only upgrade to a version where that supported SQL 2005, after that migrate DB to upper version of SQL and then do another upgrade to 7.*.* based on your configuration.  Sorry I do not have exact version when it happened handy at the moment but you should be able to refer compatibility guide.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Rajan Katwal

No Events found!