Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 17th, 2014 06:00

Using S1 7.1 sp1 .. need server / service reboot order

Hey ... wow talk about getting yourself into something that can take way more time than you want....

we are fully into the S1 product for email/ sharepoint / and file servers,

right now just archiving everything we can get under email to capture our current data.

A number of microsoft patches have been applied and I need to restart all the servers so the patches can finish the install (bew / few / file server/ sql/ iqr/ arr) ...

What is the best order to reboot the servers in and I know I need to stop the current jobs but do I need to stop any services before hand?

we are up and running but there are no users accessing the archive or web site yet ... so I do not need to worry about that.

thanks

David

600 Posts

April 17th, 2014 07:00

Hi David,

After stopping activities, you want to take care of sourceone services on sourceone servers especially native archive servers. If activities are stopped then workers are pretty much idle and you van confirm from source one console.

You may want to write batch files to stop and start all services in one go. This will help you everytime you need to reboot sourceone servers. I am away from mu computer oyherwise might have posted the contents for batch files.

Best regards,

Rajan Katwal

Sent from mobile device.

Please ignore typing mistakes.

48 Posts

April 17th, 2014 09:00

Attached are the two I usually use.  I have seen others who have a command that will stop/start services across all SourceOne servers.

Cheers,

Brad

2 Attachments

April 18th, 2014 09:00

Brad

thanks for the info ... but I think I missed something... after stopping the jobs from running, which server do I stop services on first (what is the order at the server level) ... I am guessing this is it but not sure:

power down

Master server / (BEW) back end worker (all)

FEW front end workers (all)

IQR  index query retrieve

ARR archive / retrieve

SQL sql

FS ... file server (shares)

reverse the order on power up ?

FS

SQL

ARR

IQR

FEW

BEW / Master 

will the scripts change the services to not autostart on reboot so i need to run the start services .bat file or will the autostart as they come up ?

David

48 Posts

April 21st, 2014 11:00

Hi David,

That's correct, you first need to stop all Organizational Policies, and ensure that all of the jobs complete in Job Management.

That order looks good, but on the SourceOne side, I usually leave the Master for last.

(BEW) back end worker (all)

FEW front end workers (all)

IQR  index query retrieve

ARR archive / retrieve

Master

SQL sql

FS ... file server (shares)

reverse the order on power up ?

FS

SQL

Master

ARR

IQR

FEW

BEW

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Brad

114 Posts

September 3rd, 2014 04:00

Once all services have been stopped on all servers, and you're sure that currently no jobs are being processed, you can shutdown the servers in any order you prefer.

No Events found!