Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 28th, 2015 03:00

"Search as" for user who left the organization and is hidden from GAL

Hello,

SourceOne Email management for Exchange, version 7.1.

Process:

User left the organization, active directory account is disabled, mailbox hidden from GAL.

Local IT needs to have ability to search over mailbox, so full rights are delegated to local IT.

Local IT wants to perform delegated search, but could not find the user as is hidden from GAL.

We would like to avoid workaround as of un-hide from GAL ... I could find solution for Xternder where some query was run against Emailaddress table in the SQL, but does not work anymore ..

Can someone direct me how to easily solve it ?

Thx

Peter

600 Posts

April 28th, 2015 17:00

Hi Peter,

Preferred method would be to unhide the user, run search and hide it again. The reason is that user had properties in AD/GC e.g. LegacyExchangeDn, SMTP address and so forth that are needed for search.

Since you mentioned EmailXtender method, which was based on same principle. The workaround was when sites would have deleted user. Workaround was to find users legacyExchangeDN and other addresses from EmailAddress table of EmailXtender database. Same entries exist in SourceOne archive database. Nothing is stopping you from taking those entries and run search. The difference will be that you will not be using “Search As” but simple admin search and results might not be 100% same what you get while using user after un-hiding it.

If you have discovery manager that has expressions column to be added to searched. You can add expressions you want to search. For more details please refer to the search guide for Discovery Manager.

EmailXtender had chapter on identity management which covered these scenarios, SourceOne Admin guide also has section called “Best practices in email identity management” that talks about the same.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Rajan

No Events found!