Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 7th, 2005 18:00

Bitsetting/Book Type

Have a DELL purchased Philips DVD8631 DVD+-/RW drive in my Dimension 4600.  When burning
DVD+R disks the Book Type gets set to DVD+R which is fine on most DVD players but I have an
old one that will not read the DVD video.  Would like to be able to change the bitsetting Book Type on DVD+R disks from +R to DVD-ROM when burning videos.  Book Type Field DVD-ROM is universal and should eliminate compatability issues.

Is anyone aware of a fix/firmware for this particular combo-drive that may work?

Thanks

15.3K Posts

January 8th, 2005 02:00

Hi Chuck,

Dell currently has an updated firmware for this drive in their File Library, whether it will address your issue I cannot say. No one so far has made reference to Book Type Field.
The firmware can be found through the Downloads link under Product Support tab above, enter information for your system and follow the links.

Best Regards

God, grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
the good fortune to run into the ones I do and the eyesight to tell the
difference.

CD/RW Link

1 Message

March 18th, 2005 08:00

Hi,

i have exactly the same problem. The Philips 8631 DVD burner of my Dimension 5000 does not support bitsetting. The firmware in Dell's archive cannot help, because it is older than the one already installed.

I really can't understand, why Dell uses a DVD RW without bitsetting. It is impossible to burn a "compatible to standalone players" Video DL disc with such a DVD burner.

I have asked Dell Germany for help via email...three days ago. Than i called them. But the person i was talking to didn't even know what bitsetting was.

Now i hope that somebody here knows what i'm talking about. What can i do? Is there a bitsetting supporting firmware for this burner?

Thanks for your help.

Greetings from Germany

Christoph

Message Edited by CNeumannSG on 03-18-2005 04:50 AM

Message Edited by CNeumannSG on 03-18-2005 05:04 AM

No Events found!