Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 6th, 2005 00:00

CD Burn Problem with Sony CD-RW

I have a Dimension 4600 with the Sony CD-RW CRX216E drive installed. I am trying to burn some picture/data files to a CD-R and am having issues.

If I use the Windows XP CD-Writing Feature, it gets to 5 seconds left in the burn process and then tells me that there was a problem during the process. If I use Sonic RecordNow v6.5, it gets to 32 seconds left in the burn process and then encounters the following error:
Sense: 06  ASC: 29  ASCQ: 00 (Command 2A)
-------------------------------------------------------
px.dll: 1.8.34.500
pxdrv.dll: 1.1.8.0
pxmas.dll: 1.8.34.500
pxwave.dll: 1.8.34.500
pxwma.dll: 1.0.0.3

Does anyone have any suggestions on why this isn't working? I have used both the XP CD-Writing feature and RecordNow in the past, so I don't know why it's not working now.

Thanks,
The Merg

--
Today's problems don't worry me,
I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

15.3K Posts

June 6th, 2005 01:00

Hi The Merg,

I ran a search on the message, mostly comes up with issues with a HP drive, However it seems the article on the Upper & Lower Filters may help.

Click on the CD/RW link in my post and scroll to Section 12, article 10.

Best Regards

God, grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
the good fortune to run into the ones I do and the eyesight to tell the
difference.

CD/RW Link

22 Posts

June 7th, 2005 00:00

Well, I gave it a try and it was a no-go. I even removed the filters.bak entries as well and still had no luck. It gets to the last five seconds with the CD-Writing wizard. It says that it is preparing the CD for use and then just as it says Finished, it pops the CD out and says there was an error. The CD is still blank. It's almost as if it's not even writing to the CD to begin with.

Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated. As further info, I did have Roxio EZ CD Creator v6 installed at one time and unistalled it. I currently still have the Roxio CD Label Maker app still installed (it's much better than the Sonic version).

Thanks,
The Merg

--

15.3K Posts

June 8th, 2005 02:00

Hi Merg,

I have some information from Roxio`s forum, one of their Moderators and also their Regulars on the proper procedure to uninstall / reinstall their software. Seems, the standars Add/Remove may completely remove all the files, same CD/RW site, Section 47.

Also, I believe Dell may have a firmware update for this drive as well.

Best Regards

God, grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
the good fortune to run into the ones I do and the eyesight to tell the
difference.

CD/RW Link

22 Posts

June 14th, 2005 01:00

Well, I followed the directions in order to completely remove Roxio from my system. I then rebooted and tried to use the CD Writing wizard, but got the same error I was getting before. I opted to not reinstall any of my CD Recording software prior to trying the wizard. Any other ideas would be appreciated?

Also, I could not locate a firmware update for the Sony CRX-216E CDRW...

- The Merg

2 Posts

July 25th, 2005 04:00

I'm having a similar problem with the same drive. I'll get 2/3 of the way through burning a CD and I get an error message saying that the task could not be completed. This is a drive problem - not a software problem. Is there any support or updates for the Sony CRX-216E CD-RW anywhere? Sony itself has no listing for this drive, and I'd hate to believe that Dell would use an outdated and unsupported drive. Any help here would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

10 Posts

August 4th, 2005 23:00

I am having the same problem. My computer is less then 4 months old and already a bad CDRW drive. I am on the phone with dell trying to get it replaced. I ran the diagnostic on the boot partition and all the tests pass which makes getting this thing replaced more of a hassle.

22 Posts

August 5th, 2005 03:00

The issue is the software I believe. After I posted my last message, I did eventually get it to work. I went through all the processes of removing Roxio and Sonic from my computer. I also went through the registry as well to remove remnants of them as well. I then removed the CDRW from my hardware list and rebooted. It found the CDRW on the reboot and I reinstalled it. I then went with just using the WinXP CD writing wizard as opposed to re-installing Roxio or Sonic. All seems to work fine now.

- The Merg

--
Today's problems don't bother me,

2 Posts

August 5th, 2005 08:00

Merg & Predator, I don't have Roxio or Sonic installed, and I never have. The drive doesn't work properly in this instance. This may just be a compatibility problem, but I take issue with that considering that this is a Dell installed drive. I just want a patch / fix so that I can use what they gave me, what I bought and paid for. A little bit of support for this drive would likely solve all of my problems.......

10 Posts

August 5th, 2005 12:00

I have determined it is not a software issue. I went to the sony site and downloaded their drive tester. Since the dell diagnostic program su cks since it doesn't test the write feature of the drive on the read, teh SOny test does both. Of course the drive reads fine and fails on the write. I am in the process of writing a letter to dell on how bad their tech support is and that they have wasted 10 hours of my life by being on the phone with them trying to system restore when I they could have just had a proper diagnostic program, the new drive would have been sent to me by now.

The drive tester is right on the sony website under support and then your model number i think it was cdx-330a.

3 Posts

January 23rd, 2006 17:00

Does anyone know of a fix or workaround for this?

I've had problems burning for a few months now.  I've tried multiple burning programs, unistalled them, reinstalled them, tried the registry fix that someone suggested above, and I still can't get through a successful burn.

I have a Dell Dimension 2400 with a Sony CRX-216E internal writer.

22 Posts

January 24th, 2006 03:00

I've had the same issue except I have a Dimension 4600. My initial contact with Dell support told me that it was a software issue (I don't believe them completely), so they would not help me. If you solve the problem, please post the results and I'll do the same.

- The Merg

--

No Events found!