Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

July 6th, 2007 22:00

D630 SATA DRIVE INSTALLATION FIX

This message is for everyone who is having problems with installing the AHCI for the Dell Latitude D630.
Go to the Lenovo website http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-62909 and download the Intel Matrix driver that they have. Once you have downloaded it navigate to the folder and extract out the contents. Then go into the folder that says "Prepare' and click "install". It may seem like nothing has happened but you must restart your machine and then go into the BIOS before it reboots. Change the SATA setting to AHCI and the Flash setting(it will prompt you for which Flash must be enabled), and then let your machine fully reboot. Once logged in your machine will find new hardware. Point it to the folder where you extracted the files and it will install the drivers.
Hope this helps
Message Edited by bro_tayo on 07-06-2007 06:14 PM

Message Edited by bro_tayo on 07-07-2007 10:26 PM

611 Posts

July 9th, 2007 02:00

Did not work for me.  After changing the BIOS settings and then rebooting to install the drivers, it continually reboots itself.  Changed back to ATA in BIOS and back to normal.  The HAL (hardware application layer) has to be changed which requires a reinstall of the OS with the BIOS set to AHCII.

14 Posts

July 9th, 2007 11:00

Swaddi, The first step is in your bios change your SATA to ATA and turn your Flash Cache Module OFF. Then boot your machine into Windows. Navigate to the files you downloaded and extracted and go into the Prepare folder and click Install. Shut your machine down and on the boot go into your bios again and change the SATA setting to AHCI and your Flash Cache Module to Enable and the reboot.

14 Posts

Sawaddi, Before you begin the process above make sure that the SATA option is on ATA for the D630, and for other machines it has to be on Compatability. Then go through the process. I do not know how this will work with other Dell machines but I know that it works for the new D630 laptop.

611 Posts

I did - but it didn't work for me on my new D630!

Message Edited by sawaddi on 07-09-2007 07:44 AM

611 Posts

July 9th, 2007 12:00

Your instructions were very clear and I followed them exactly. 

My D630 came from Dell set to ATA with the flash cache set to disabled.  How did yours come from Dell?

14 Posts

July 9th, 2007 12:00

Mine came with SATA set to AHCI and Flash Cache Module enabled. It was also pre-loaded with Windows Vista Home. I reset changed the settings in the bios so that I could load a clean copy of Windows XP. Then downloaded the software and installed the drivers.

14 Posts

July 9th, 2007 18:00

Sawaddi, I had to post again... I forgot to tell you that before you can take any of the other steps above you have to install the Intel Chipset software. I hope that this did not cause anyone any inconvenience.

611 Posts

July 9th, 2007 21:00

When I received my D630, I installed Vista Business.  I always install the chipset software before any other driver.  Maybe the fact that I have Vista is the difference??

1 Message

July 26th, 2007 20:00

Thx a lot, that solved my problem!!!

12 Posts

August 21st, 2007 12:00

Hey,

I followed the instructions and it worked.
Afterwards I installed all necessary drivers, however, there is 1 thing that doesn't wanna go away..
In device manager there's a 'PCI device' that needs some kind of driver. After every reboot XP comes up with a 'found new hardware' window.
I tried a lot of things and nothing worked.

Any ideas?
The sounddriver is installed and visible under 'audio' and the modem is installed and visible under 'modems'.

Thanks

14 Posts

Trigun, Did you install he Chipset driver? If so when you reboot and that window comes up stating it has found new hardware. Point it to where you saved the Intel Matrix Storage drivers folder, and it should pick up the drivers. Hope this helps.

12 Posts

Nevermind, it's solved.

10 Posts

January 29th, 2008 06:00

wholly !@#$..   That works.   Good find. 

thank you very much

1 Message

February 1st, 2008 11:00

Cool, worked like a charm for me, thanks man!  I also recommend applying the latest Intel Storage Manager straight from Intel.  They're pushing version 7.8.0.1012 instead of the older 7.0.0.1020 version that Dell and Lenovo are using.

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/filter_results.aspx?strTypes=all&ProductID=2101&OSFullName=Windows*+XP+Professional&lang=eng&strOSs=44&submit=Go%21#UTL

6 Posts

May 29th, 2008 13:00

Is this something I install during installation of XP.  I have tried these drivers but it still crashes.
No Events found!