Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 24th, 2004 04:00

Dos cdrom drivers

I have formatted my dell latitude, and I am to the part of reinstalling the dos cdrom drivers. Well I downloaded the drivers from this site, but they are apparently no good as it tells me invalid system disk. I am going ot reinstall win 95 on it but could go 98 if thats what I need to do.

Does anyone know where to get a file of good drivers for this?? Thanks in advance

January 27th, 2004 00:00

Still have not been able to get those dos-cdr.exe drivers. I duno what to do, but my question now is, can I just get my cdrom and put it in the bay and the comp will pick it up? Yea you can tell this is my first lappie, and I am clueless. LOL thanks for any help

2 Posts

January 28th, 2004 12:00

Are you trying to boot your laptop with the floppy disk you copied the DOS CD Rom drivers to? Is that what the instructions tell you to do? Normally, you do not boot to install the drivers with from the floppy disk or from on your hard drive. Just "browse" to the location of where the drivers are when it asks you for the new drivers.

You can do this by right clicking on "My Computer" then looking at the CD-ROM device and using the "Update Driver" capability under the device manager. Been awhile for me on Win 95...if you can go to Win 98, use Win 98 Service Release #2 as it is more stable that earlier versions or Win 95. Good Luck...hope this helps.

Rikbo

January 28th, 2004 19:00

Ok not sure if I can get the link to post in here but this is what I was trying to follow, all the way up until I hit that part about installing the dos-cdr.exe from a floppy. No matter waht I have done I just cannot get that disk to install, it keeps telling me invalid system disk. I have tried going roundabout ways also like copy the files it tells me I need off the win 95 or 98 boot disks. I already tried just putting the cd rom in and seeing if it would recognize it, but my luck it won't. I'm totaly stuck again. I guess I learn more every day so any info ya all can give will be greatly appreciated. Here that link

http://support.dell.com/us/en/kb/document.asp?DN=1010949

Thanks again

4K Posts

January 29th, 2004 03:00

If you use a W98 Boot Disk and select Start your computer with CDROM Support, AND the CDROM is in the media Bay with the Floppy Drive on a Parallel Port cable for the Floppy Drive only, so that both are in use together, the boot disk puts in generic drivers for the CDROM and boots it for your W98/ME install. It will also work with w95; remember it is really a DOS boot disk. The version included with W95 A did not have CDROM drivers on it and if using that one, then you need a CDROM driver Floppy Diskette, but you still need the Boot Disk to boot to an A: prompt to swap out and use it.

January 29th, 2004 04:00

Hey all thanks so much for the info and advice. I got it up and running now and on my network. Woo hooo time to cruise and see waht this baby can do. Thanks again!!
No Events found!