7 Plutonium

Re: Error code: 2000-0146

Jump to solution

Hi CarolinaGondra,

Most of the forum members are volunteers. But let me ask you if you need help with your hard drive. Are you getting this error?

0 Kudos
rdy4macomputer
1 Copper

Jump to solution

HI,

I own an Inspiron 1525 since Dec. 2008.  I originally performed all the above steps and found my battery was dead and needed replacing,  That was done a few weeks ago after rebooting to factory standards and losing all files.  Computer worked fine.  Three weeks later, system froze while reading an article and cannot reboot.  Windows will attempt to repair the errors, but cannot and it never stops.  It will try repairing for hours.  Ran the same trouble shoot as above, and received the error code 0146, but noted it said log contained previous errors again.  However, I noticed something, (as I did before replacing the battery). The system promoted that memory installed exceeded memory available by 10.  What would cause that?  After rebooting to factory standards previously and replacing the battery with a brand new one the only thing I have done to this laptop is install Norton Anti-virus Protection and downloaded  the new Internet Explorer and that is it.  I rarely use my laptop. I am currectly running MpMemory Version 0462 to see if I have some issues there.  I am sure it's in need of a new hard drive, but  probably time to replace laptop. This happened anyone else?

0 Kudos
8 Platinum

Jump to solution

rdy4macomputer

Error 0146 indicates a failed/failing hard drive or bad drive sector.   This means your hard drive will need to be replaced.

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please click: Kudos
Forum Member since 2001
I am not employed by Dell

0 Kudos
maury11215
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

I will try this suggestion and post back.

0 Kudos
CarolinaGondra
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Im talking about the ones that sign with the hashtag #Iworkfordell. Have been looking at the same code and there are all different answers. I had that code, computer would freeze and take forever to load. Tried the diagnostics and got that code and a few more, defragmented, cleaned, etc then I also formatted all of the partitions and installed XP instead of Windows 7 still not working. Had an old Dell so I took the harddrive from that one and put it in my new one. It works fine, whoever, its only 120GB and has Vista which Im not too keen on. Need to save some more money for the new hard drive. 

A few days before it started acting up I put my laptop in my backpack and traveled by bus, stayed there for a couple of hours and when I went and took it out of my backpack It was on.I had forgotten to turn it off. Could this have caused the damage on the hard drive??

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi CarolinaGondra,

Error code 0146 indicates the test has detected logs of previous errors on hard drive and this might be a possible hard drive failure. For more decisive results, I recommend you to run a 'Custom Test' on the laptop's 'Hard Drive'. 'Custom Test' is an advanced diagnostic test and is capable of producing more reliable results. Follow the steps listed below to launch the hard drive custom test:

• Power off the laptop (Ensure that AC Adapter cable is plugged in)
  • Power on the laptop and repeatedly tap <F12> key
  • Select option 'Diagnostics'

Here are some screen shots demonstrating the progress of the PSA+ Diagnostics: 

Tap <Y> if color bars appear (Refer to the image above)

If 2000:0146 error appears, please ignore the message and go ahead with the testing

Tap <No> to launch 32 bit Diagnostics (Following screen appears):

From the factory the system's 'hard drive' will include a hidden partition with 32 bit Dell Diagnostics. After the completion of basic diagnostic process, you will be asked to continue to this Diagnostics program. If for some reason the hidden partition is not found on the hard drive, you will be presented with the option to insert the Resource DVD. Following screen appears in that case:

If required, use the Resource CD and follow the steps given below:

• Insert Recovery CD
  • Shut down and restart the desktop
  • When Dell logo appears, immediately tap <F12> repeatedly

Note: If you wait too long and the operating system logo appears, continue to wait until you see the Microsoft Windows desktop; then shut down your computer and try again.

• When the boot device list appears, highlight the option CD/DVD/CD-RW and press <Enter>
  • Boot from CD-ROM from the menu that appears and press <Enter>
  • This message appears ‘Press any key to boot from the CD’
  • Promptly hit <Enter>
  • Note: If you wait too long and Dell Diagnostic screen does not appear, then, shut down your computer and repeat all steps.

(Following screen appears): 

• Press <Enter> 
  • When the Dell Diagnostics main menu appears, select the test you want to run
  • Select Custom Test (Refer to image below)

• Click <+> sign besides 'Hard Drive' (Refer to image below)
  • Highlight 'SATA Disk'
  • Place a tick mark in 'Non-Interactive Tests Only'
  • Click 'Run Test'

• For any problem encountered during a test, a message appears with an error code and a description of the problem
  • Write down the error code and problem description exactly as it appears

If the tests passes and you want to use the same hard drive, you can format the hard drive and can perform an Operating system re-installation. Before you proceed, I will advise you to take a complete backup your data (pictures, music, applications, videos, documents) if possible. As this step leads to complete data loss. Remove all the external peripherals (like printers, scanners, any USB device except keyboard and mouse) connected to your computer. For more information on this, you can refer to link: http://dell.to/Qe7jyP 

Please reply for further clarifications.  

Thanks and regards,
DELL-Chinmay S
#IWork4Dell 
To know more about Dell’s products, services and drivers & downloads, please go here

0 Kudos
CarolinaGondra
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I you read what I wrote... you are gonna find that I already performed the diagnostic and also reinstalled the OS.

0 Kudos
9 Rhodium

Jump to solution

You need a new, 2.5" SATA notebook hard drive (9.5 or 7 mm in height).  Once you replace the drive, you'll need to install Windows and configure the system:

www.dell.com/.../ArticleView

0 Kudos
CarolinaGondra
1 Copper

Jump to solution

And question... my computer didnt come with a cd of windows... am I supposed to buy it again?? I have the serial number? Can I download it from microsoft and use that same serial #?

0 Kudos
8 Platinum

Jump to solution

CarolinaGondra

If you reside in the US and are the registered owner of the computer, a disc containing the factory-installed operating system specific to your system, can be requested from HERE.

Note: Dell may make a charge for the disc.

If you don't reside in the US, contact Dell's Support that's located in your country. 

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please click: Kudos
Forum Member since 2001
I am not employed by Dell

0 Kudos