Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

July 23rd, 2008 23:00

Reinstalling Windows XP with RAID-Controlled hard drive

Hi all, I have RAID-controlled SATA hard disks in the Dimension E520 Desktop that I purchased from Dell. They are non-RAID disks. I want to format my C Drive and use my Dell reinstall CD to perform a clean install of Windows XP SP2, then download the full volume release of Service Pack 3. All of my data is on my separate physical D Drive.

I have been reading that when MS-DOS Setup begins, I will be asked to press F6 if I need to install any third-party or RAID drivers. I have all of my CDs from Dell, including Drivers and Utilities. Do I need to press F6 and insert this CD? Or do I just press F6 and let Windows find these drivers on the XP reinstall CD? Or do I ignore the notice to press F6?

When do I insert the CD for my Dell 17" flat panel monitor? 

Do I need to press F6 and insert any CDs to obtain drivers at this early time in the MS-Dos Setup for reinstalling Windows XP?

Thanking you,

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

July 24th, 2008 00:00

carephil

Dell's PC Restore by Symantec utility is installed on Inspiron and Dimension systems shipped on/after 7.16.04.

This restores the computer to it's Factory Settings.

For the directions about Reinstall Microsoft Windows XP, go here

Directions for Downloading and Installing Drivers in the Correct Order, are here.

Bev.

===================================================
Please don't send me questions about your system by DCF Messenger.
Post the issue in the appropriate Board, where they will be answered.

2.7K Posts

July 24th, 2008 00:00

Hi

You have to have a floppy drives to set up the

Raid drives thats all XP will look for is the floppy

drive disc with the sata drivers on it !

Or you have to slipstream the drivers onto your XP CD !

You will not need any other CD,s until you get to the windows desktop  

then you will install them from there . 

Good Luck

3 Posts

July 24th, 2008 03:00

Hi Jerry,

Thank you for replying to my message. My Dimenstion E520 desktop was shipped from Dell without any RAID drivers on floppy disk. As the computer boots up, the drive configuration screen lists my two physical hard drives as NON-RAID, but RAID-CONTROLLED. Do you think that this indicates that the controllers are on the Windows XP reinstall CD or the Drivers and Utilities CD shipped with the computer? Perhaps I do not have to obtain drivers, as the disks are NON-RAID (though RAID-controlled).

Are you sure that I have to save RAID drivers to floppy disk? I don't yet know how to slipstream them.

Regards from Phil

3 Posts

July 24th, 2008 13:00

Hi Jerry,

How do I download the drivers for RAID control that you said should be saved to floppy disk? I do have a floppy drive. I understand that you have advised that I should install these drivers when prompted to press F6 just after the MS-DOS setup screen appears, early in the installation process for Windows XP. I think you have said that Windows can only install these drivers from floppy disk. It's surprising that they are not on the Dell Resources Drivers and Utilities CD that came with my Dell Dimension E520 Desktop ordered direct from the Dell factory. You have indicated that the RAID control drivers are not on the Dell Windows XP Reinstallation Disk either. My two physical hard drives are NON-RAID, but RAID-controlled.

Thank you for your interest. Hoping you can help me to locate the drivers.

Kind regards, Phil

2.7K Posts

July 24th, 2008 17:00

Hi

If you do not want to use Raid you may have the option in the bios to turn

it off and use Raid - ATA on and not need to use F6 to install XP !

But if you do have to use F6 to install XP this driver is the one you will need

http://ftp.us.dell.com/SATA/R158601.EXE

you download it to the desktop then expand it to someting like

C:\DELL\DRIVERS\R158601 then you go to that folder and copy

all of the files to the floppy drive disc to use F6 to install XP

so XP can see the hard drive !

Good Luck

Message Edited by C3PO5 on 07-24-2008 11:12 AM

6.4K Posts

July 24th, 2008 17:00

Hello carephil;

Just wanted to point out a couple of things.  With reference to shesagordie's post, your E520 came with an onboard image that will restore your computer to "as delivered" condition.  You access this by restarting the computer and pressing the F11 and CTRL keys during the bios splash screen, releasing both at the same time before the screen disappears and Windows begins to load.  You will get a menu asking what you would like to do and warning you that restoring the image will overwrite any data you have placed on the computer.  I've never had to use it, but other folks have told me it requires less than 30 minutes.

Second, the Dell Windows XP reinstallation disk that you received with the computer should have the SATA/RAID drivers already slipstreamed onto it.  These drivers are required if you are using the computer in its default condition.  My E520 was delivered with the bios set to RAID ON even though I have only a single drive.  What RAID ON means is that you are using the AHCI mode of the SATA interface.  If you are not using RAID and are having trouble installing Windows XP, you can always set the drive controller to RAID Autodetect/ATA mode.  This is an IDE compatible mode that allows you to install Windows without worrying about the special drivers.

Message Edited by JackShack on 07-24-2008 01:44 PM
No Events found!