Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

January 26th, 2005 05:00

Sony DRU-710A Problem

Just installed a DVD/CD Rewritable Drive.  Sony DRU-710A.  It will read CDs but it will not read DVDs.  I imagine it is a setting that I have wrong but I can't figure it out.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

15.3K Posts

January 26th, 2005 09:00

Hi cdrwissue,

In order to play / read DVD`s, you will need some type of DVD decoder / software, PowerDVD as an example, hopefully one came with the drive if you purchased a Retail model. If the drive said OEM, these tend not to come with the software so you will have to purchase it separately.

Best Regards

God, grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
the good fortune to run into the ones I do
and the eyesight to tell the difference.

CD/RW Link

6 Posts

January 26th, 2005 12:00

I am using PowerDVD.  When I try to run from that application the drive will spin a few times like it is trying to read the drive but it just comes back with "Please insert disk in drive".

15.3K Posts

January 26th, 2005 12:00

HICDRW,

Verify that you set the jumper on the back of the drive to CS, Dell uses the Cable Select jumper feature, Also make sure you have DMA enabled. Click on the CD/RW link in my post and scroll to Section 15, article 14 & 17 for DMA. While there try Section 15, article 1; Section 20, article 3; Section 11, article 2 to cover any driver issue.

I am going to assume you have already tried uninstalling / reininstalling / updating PowerDVD.

Best Regards

God, grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
the good fortune to run into the ones I do and the eyesight to tell the
difference.

CD/RW Link

6 Posts

January 27th, 2005 03:00

Finally found the problem. In looking closer at the instructions for the drive it said to remove packet writing programs like Sonic DLA. Unfortunately I had not noticed that. Once I removed that program the drive worked like a charm. I am very suprised that the software conflict would cause the drive to work great playing and writing CDs but would not even recognize a DVD.

I hope this lesson helps others.
No Events found!