Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 23rd, 2003 00:00

WinDVD

I am checking here since DELL Phone support does not seem to really be support but rather a lesson in trying to get someone to understand exactly what you are trying to say!!!

Here is the problem, I am trying to reinstall WinDVD 3.0 that came with my DELL 8200 desktop.  I get a message saying that this is not a qualified DELL machine. I tried all the standard things tech support says to do, 1. Reboot 2. Go to win config and turn off all startup programs and reboot!    3. Checked system and there is no indication that this is a DELL computer anymore!

Anyone seen this problem?

I just bought a DELL Inspiron 8500 no problems yet, but sure hope I don't have to call tech support!

Oh I do have a minor problem, it won't run Need for Speed Hot Pursuit II.  Graphics are hosed. Go figure this was a program recommended by DELL to buy for the same laptop. I have a Nvidia 64 meg video card too.

Thanks anyone for the help.

25 Posts

October 23rd, 2003 17:00

I already downloaded the plugin for Windows Media Player ($20.00) and it plays DVD's.  My concern is if I ever try to reinstall any other DELL software (Like the operating system, which is DELL coded to detect only a DELL machine) that I will get the same bogus message. I am not sure if the last BIOS A09 upgrade may have wiped out the refrence that this is a DELL machine. I am only assumeing that is how they do it.

Thanks!  

8 Posts

October 23rd, 2003 17:00

Really surprised to hear that windvd software is dell specific. any windvd 3 is old. lates is  windvd 5. best is to go to download.com and search for dvd software. u can download a lot of dvd palyers for free.

http://download.com.com/sort/3120-2001-0-1-6.html?qt=dvd+software&ca=2001

1 Message

July 26th, 2005 01:00

I'm having the same problem with re-installing winDVD.  Problem is, I'm trying to install it on my laptop and I dont have internet access right now, so "Just download the newer one." doesn't work for me.  Anyone wanna explain why it won't let me re-install the program that came on the computer with the cd that came with the computer?

No Events found!